Goals for 2014 - halfway mark

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by Kitkatninja, Jun 24, 2014.

1. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Following on from this thread...

Well, we're halfway thru the year and was wondering... How are you're goals coming along?

For me:

Gain my Microsoft Certified Educator (MCE) cert - Studying for it
    Gain a project management cert, maybe the Project+ - on the backburner
    Complete my PGCert in Technology Management (first 1/3 of my MSc) - halfway thru the last module
    Gain my black belt (chodan) in Tang Soo Do (if not gain in Dec 2013) - passed it in Dec 2013

Are all of you on track?

Last edited: Jun 24, 2014
    Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  2. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

So far:

Seeing as I've failed miserably with this years goal I'm still going to be slogging through the 2012 MCSA but.... -Still slogging away, no time available to actually take the exam though

I'm also working on my Linux skills so may look at a cert in that area and possibly something security related. -No ceritification plans but I've certainly improved my skills, currently playing with Arch

Also buying a house. -I move in in November once the house has actually been built...

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, ACA – Mac Integration 10.10
  3. ade1982

ade1982 Megabyte Poster

Buying my first house (wasn't on the cards until April) -- set to exchange contracts on Thursday. Worried is not the word!

4. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

We're doing well CF ;)

This is primarily on track.
    My 70-412 is on Friday and I will be doing 413 and 414 towards the latter end of the year. The company has moved towards Hyper-V so that suits my MCSE and VMware is taking a back-burner. The writing jumped leaps and bounds and signed two writing contracts, so that's been a big focus so far this year.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  5. jvanassen

jvanassen Kilobyte Poster

Was spending months studying ICND1 material without the exam booked and finally booked the exam to give myself a deadline and some pressure to actually get on with it, took it today and passed with a score of 933. Now onto ICND2, hoping to hit the ground running with it without an extensive break in between the two exams and hopefully book the exam in the next couple of weeks when i know how long is feasible to get through all the study material i got today.

Certifications: CompTIA A+, Network+, CCENT
    WIP: ICND2 200-101
  6. Simonvm

Simonvm Kilobyte Poster

Taking CCNA Security in a week or two. After that I'll probably focus a bit on Juniper, Palo Alto, Bluecoat, etc

Certifications: MCITP: EST, MCDST, MCTS, A+, N+, CCNP, CCNA Wireless
  7. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Ooooo Ken you ruthless task master reminding me of my goals ha ha ha

2014 goals, probably finish my MCSE as this is looking increasingly impossible before Christmas. Correct, impossible. Looking to get my 2012 MCSE by August 2014 so only 2 years later :S

Upgrade my VCP from 4 to 5. DONE! 8)

Travel a lot more next year, more family holidays, more weekend breaks, more lads holidays. I think I must have been drunk when I've put this one down because I got married in Feb which has subsequently skinted me to the max ha ha Garage bar/Cinema room project also run over budget but is done at least. Went to Egypt on my honeymoon in Feb but can't see me getting away again this year as its the Mrs 30th in Jan 2015 so that will no doubt take me back down to zero. The struggle rages on, James

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  8. Ultra_Tech

Ultra_Tech New Member

I like this thread.

My goal is to learn C# enough to be able to start building interfaces, small applications and web services. I left desktop support and started working for a software development company 2 years ago, i had to learn basic SQL on the job and I think in this day and age it's very important to know how applications/interfaces work and how to develop and or support business critical applications that bring revenue to companies (like ecommerce applications for example).

If I can learn the basics of C#, HTML, Javascript and CSS, that would be fantastic! Then I would consider my next career move.

I would also love to get my head around IIS 8, Server 2012 and a bit of powershell, but i think this is next year's goals.

I box in my spare time and would love to get a lot better at that than I am now.