Gmail IMAP setup

Discussion in 'Internet, Connectivity and Communications' started by Fergal1982, Jul 10, 2010.

1. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

Has anyone here used the IMAP connection via GMail? I'm considering starting to use GMail as my primary account over btinternet. Primarily its so that I can make use of IMAP in order to persist email state over multiple devices (phone, pc, etc - im sick of having to mark an email as read on the phone and then again when I download it in Outlook).

Is it possible to pull the emails out of the IMAP setup and into a pst?

I'm half tempted to maintain the sending functionality, so that it looks to all intents and purposes like im sending from my bt account, but I could start switching to gmail proper, so that I can untether myself from my ISP, allowing greater freedom of movement to other ISP's.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Yeah, I use a rule in Outlook to move all the email from my IMAP account to a PST when they are downloaded.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

cheers.

Another question. if you were to create an outlook profile with just the Gmail account, how do/can you have contacts and calendars? Do you need to just create them in a pst file? or is there actually a way to do it in the IMAP folder structure?

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  4. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

I have them in the .pst file. Actually I work off the .pst file and the IMAP account is just there to access the account and then the Outlook rules move the new mail into the .pst file.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs