Glasses

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by Raffaz, Nov 19, 2006.

1. Raffaz

Raffaz Kebab Lover Gold Member

Ok, im after a pair of reading glasses, and im guessing some of you guys wear them. Ive never had them before so im just wondering where the best places / deals are to get them in the UK. Im after a designer pair aswell, and any other info you can give me is appreciated. Cheers

Mick

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, AutoCAD
    WIP: Rennovating my house
  2. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Until you said 'designer pair' I would have said Superdrug - as their prices are good. Introducing 'designer' into the equation throws this completely out of the window.

IMHO why 'designer' is important for reading glasses is way beyond me - but I guess that is because I'm an old fart.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  3. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

I use the small type that fit in a cigar like case. That way I can still see over the top of them when I am trying to see beyond the book or screen. I hate wearing glasses and so I buy the cheapest ones I can find. They are removed from my face the second I stop reading.

Designer glasses = waste of money

From another old fart :D

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  4. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Got mine from Super Optical in the Metro Raf.

Free eye test, and about £100 ish for some FCUK ones. Been there twice now, have been pleased both times.

5. Tyler D

Tyler D Gigabyte Poster

SpecSavers is another good one.Designer glasses again will set you back about £100-£150.

Certifications: A+,70-270
    WIP: 70-290
  6. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

I've worn glasses since I was 10 and never skimp on my glasses. Top quality lenses with scratch resistant coating and high density lenses as well. Makes the lens thinner, coz they would be like jam jars otherwise. My feeling is you can get a good pair of glasses for a reasonable price but designer one are a complete waste of money.

Edit: I normally wear contact lenses, just to enhance my nateral boyish good looks

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  7. Raffaz

I just like the look of designer ones more, they have a nice choice of frames. Im on the dole aswell at the mo, so can i get any money off anything like me eyetests etc. Cheers

8. Raffaz

I might have to take a lookin there, do ya need an appointment?

9. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Didn't when I was there last, but since you only get your eyes tested every two years it was last year.

10. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Totally agree with AJ as a regular Gregory wearer - for me, there is no where other than D&A. Discounts if you're on benefits, and designer ranges available. I love my latest (non-designer) titanium ice pair - great stuff, damn cheap, and I literally dont know I have them on !! :D

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity