Giving a user its own environment on server 2003

Discussion in 'Windows Server 2003 / 2008 / 2012 / 2016' started by beaumontdvd, Feb 10, 2010.

1. beaumontdvd

beaumontdvd Kilobyte Poster

Hi all, just messing about with server 03 virtually. I have created a user and logged it on from a virtual xp machine to the domain. But my question is I have created a quota to see how it works. But what would the profile path and local path be for the user? would it be (C:\Documents and Settings\All Users) on the server machine?
    Regards,
    Dave

Certifications: 070-271, 070-272, (MCDST)Level 1,2,3 NVQ
    WIP: 070-270, A+, N+, S+,MCDST 7 Upgrade
  2. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

Local path is local to the workstation you are logging onto - C:\Docs and Settings\Username

Server path - I don't know what the default is, but this can be change to whatever server/path it is sat on.

Certifications: MBCS, BSc(Hons), Cert(Maths), A+, Net+, MCDST, ITIL-F v3, MCSA
    WIP: 70-293
  3. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

You would have to create your profile path and define it in the ADUC MMC.

Ideally it would be something like D:\Users\User1

It would be at that point that you assign quotas to the disk.

The only time a user will get a profile on the C drive like you mentioned is if they log on locally to the server (something that a normal user shouldn't normally be allowed to do btw).

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  4. beaumontdvd

beaumontdvd Kilobyte Poster

Oh right thanks mate, I will try it later. Then you can base the quota on that path? I guess that would be the path that the users documents are stored ect?

Regards,

Thanks both of you,

Repped

Dave

Certifications: 070-271, 070-272, (MCDST)Level 1,2,3 NVQ
    WIP: 070-270, A+, N+, S+,MCDST 7 Upgrade