Given a New Job (on Trail Period) need advice from others

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Mr Marmory, Apr 29, 2010.

1. Mr Marmory

Mr Marmory Bit Poster

Hi guys

I really missed you all, I have been job hunting. I still have plans on Comptia A+ and that comes next. After 9 months of unemployment finally just started a new job as a IT Sales Field Representative :biggrin.
    I am on a trail period for a few weeks. :(

but it is better going back on unemployment.

I have just basic selling experience on Ebay and other auctions luckily I kept a portfolio.

Company sells all types Computer and laptop components. Enough bits to build a PC from scratch.

How do I sell this stuff? :eek:

If you have done a similar job or are recently doing one please let me read some of your ideas or hints.

I really wanna keep this job but need some help.

Someone throw me a bone !!!!!

woof woof

2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Good question, PC enthusiasts aren't likely to buy stuff you try to sell to them, because just about ALL of them buy online, whenever they want, from wherever they want, and from whomever has the exact parts they want. And if you try to sell to people who don't know a lick about computers, they won't know what to do with the components you're trying to sell them. It'd be like trying to sell car parts door-to-door around the country... unless I've got the absolute best prices around, and unless all the experts know how to get in touch with me, I'm not liable to make a sale.

Best case for you would be to find people who are interested in computers, but don't know a lot about them - who also don't know that the best prices (and best components) could be had from sites on the Internet. That's a mighty small niche... and personally, I don't think I could sleep at night doing that job.

Just my opinion. :)

Last edited: Apr 29, 2010
    Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. Mr Marmory

Mr Marmory Bit Poster

Many Thanks BosonMicheal for your reply. I agree with all of your points. As far as I know I can't get any sleep either.:x

4. drum_dude

drum_dude Gigabyte Poster

Is the job commision based Marmory?

Certifications: MCP, MCSA 2000 , N+, A+ ,ITIL V2, MCTS, MCITP Lync 2010 & MCSA 2008, Sonus SATP SBC 1k/2k
    WIP: Hopefully Skype for Business and some Exchange stuff...
  5. westernkings

westernkings Gigabyte Poster

I'd personally never go any where near a sales job, mainly because I'm **** at selling things. I know people that make quite a bit in commission, but when I think sales, I think them adverts in the paper saying "XYZ is looking for 25 new trainee managers" scams that are around these days, where you go, do some door to door selling and then they get rid of you after a week with no pay.

Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3
  6. Mr Marmory

Mr Marmory Bit Poster

Yes it is commision based. Sorry forgot to mention.:rolleyes:

7. drum_dude

drum_dude Gigabyte Poster

Cheers.

Will they be offering you any sort of training etc? And are they giving you warm or cold sales leads? What kind of targets are they expecting you to achieve?

Certifications: MCP, MCSA 2000 , N+, A+ ,ITIL V2, MCTS, MCITP Lync 2010 & MCSA 2008, Sonus SATP SBC 1k/2k
    WIP: Hopefully Skype for Business and some Exchange stuff...
  8. Mr Marmory

Mr Marmory Bit Poster

The boundaries are sales of £100 -£1500. Percentages range from 2% (£100) to a max of 10% (£1500).

9. j1mgg

j1mgg Kilobyte Poster

How are you going to be selling this?

I hope you will be cold calling companies and trying to get them to change their suppliers, but all i can really imagine is someone going door to door with a bag full of Ram. If it is cheap then as you already know it can be easy to set up on ebay and sell as long as the product is good.

Certifications: Comptia A+, ITIL V3 Foundation, MCDST, 70-270, 70-290
    WIP: 70-291, security+ and SSCP
  10. Mr Marmory

Mr Marmory Bit Poster

I have no idea at the moment. The parts are overpriced and I was thinking of building a PC using these overpriced parts, so I could sell the PC system as a whole. It might be a good idea becuase I will not be charging for the service of building. But I will need to make sure the PC system will sell. That is where I need help. Building will be done in my spare time (after working hours).

Or I could sell the parts together with other parts so the customer will build the PC system himself/herself.

Where can I buy a hot list of people that will buy such things?

Anyone have any other ideas?

11. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

The type of people who will buy parts aren't going to generally be buying cheap parts, they will be buying the parts that they want because it's what they want.

Building a system might work but as you're talking about your parts being 'overpriced' I really can't see people wanting to pay over the odds for a pc that they could get cheaper elsewhere.

You also said that you would build them for free, but that doesn't happen, there will be costs involved with it somewhere whether that's your electricity or wear and tear on your monitor and cables from testing each machine etc. Then there is the trouble shooting side of things, if something goes wrong you have to try and fix it, not only when you're building it but if you sell it as parts you will also be liable for replacing those parts as well.

I really can't see how you're going to come out of this in pocket, either you're going to be buying your own stock and not being able to move it on, or others won't buy it because it's overpriced.

As far as a 'Hot List' goes, there isn't one. Most high street vendors already have relationships with massive suppliers, any small retail outlet will want the cheapest price and will only buy in dribs and drabs.

Last edited: May 4, 2010
    Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  12. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

You'll have an extremely difficult time competing with the big box manufacturers, such as Dell, HP, Sony, and the like. I dunno about the prices there in the UK, but I can get a low-end Dell system for $350, or a mid-range Dell system with monitor for $500. Hard to beat that.

Simon's right - anyone who can build a PC themselves will hand-pick the components they want.

Well, ask yourself - would *you* buy an overpriced system from you? If not, you'll probably have a hard time selling it to anyone else.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  13. Mr Marmory

Mr Marmory Bit Poster

Thank you very much guys. Simon your input is always welcome. once again thanks.

14. Mr Marmory

Mr Marmory Bit Poster

Stuff in USA is always cheaper . But when buying and paying postage and other importing fees, it really is a pain.

15. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Sales sucks in my opinion, but a man's got to do what a man's got to do.

You sell the end product or outcome, not the individual component.
    Don't go near people who know what they're talking about.
    They will already know where to get components reliably and cheaply.
    They will also be a pain.

You go to people who know nothing.
    You tell businesses that they could save £x with the new energy saving power supply.
    You tell them that they can conform to x green legislation with this new monitor.
    You tell little Joey that Halo will render twice as fast with x graphics card and you will actually be able to make out Lara Croft's nips.

You lie without actually lying, build up people's hopes and fail to meet them.
    Then you take up drinking in order to live with yourself.

Oh, and buy a cheap suit.

:biggrin

Seriously though, good luck.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD