Gibraltar

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by westernkings, Nov 12, 2009.

1. ericrollo

ericrollo Megabyte Poster

Yes i know but i need a few k saved up.

Certifications: MOS Master, A+, MCP 271
    WIP: HND, Programming, Another Job
  2. delorean

delorean Megabyte Poster

I take my hat off to you mate. You've captured the true essence of being an expatriate.

I did the same thing when I moved to Canada with my fiance. We talked for about 10 or 15 very casual minutes about moving to Canada. By the end of the conversation we agreed to do it. The very next morning I paid the fees for my Visa etc so with that done there was no going back.

Good luck with everything in Gibraltar, if it goes belly up, who cares, you gave it a shot. Go home, find a job, start again. Who cares, we've only so many years on this Earth, why spend them in a routine that spans your best years?

Love that style mate, it takes grande plums for sure, I jacked in a good job back in the UK, biggest gamble of my life at that point. Ended up living in Canada and now the Cayman Islands.

Never looked back, best decision I ever made. Glad to see someone else with a similar attitude. Go you. Very well done my friend.

Certifications: A+, MCP 70-270, 70-290, 70-291
    WIP: 70-680, S+, MCSA, MCSE, CCNA
  3. delorean

delorean Megabyte Poster

Exactly.

You'll find work. I went to Canada with next to **** all in the bank, enough to get by and, with perseverance, landed good, non-remedial work. I actually still have a great relationship with one of my former bosses. The same applies for the Cayman Islands. We were told the missus was alright to go to Cayman as she works in finance, I on the other hand belonging to IT was screwed.

It was only because (and I was actually told this to my face by my employer at the time when I landed in Cayman) I harrassed and persuaded them so much that they gave in and decided to accept my application and put me forward for a work permit.

I scored IT work straight away (a rarity for ex-pats in Cayman) and after switching jobs a couple of times (all IT) now work for one of the top companies in the world in the trade they are in. Yes I will blow my own trumpet about that because I feel I worked bloody hard along with my fiance to help get us to where we are now. It's only when I look back on the last few years in my life that I can pinpoint it all to that simple impulse decision and the psychological spur that it really is true; if you want something badly enough, you will get it.

Sure we live in a rather unstable time in history, financially at least, but even in the darkest hours, you can always take away something positive.

Again, good work my friend, I'm loving your attitude towards the Gibraltar move. Rep given.

Certifications: A+, MCP 70-270, 70-290, 70-291
    WIP: 70-680, S+, MCSA, MCSE, CCNA
  4. westernkings

westernkings Gigabyte Poster

Well guys. I have a job interview on Wednesday for a job with a online gambling company. Desktop Support. I got it. I flew back to the UK yesterday to fill my empty suitcase up with stuff and whilst I am here I uploaded some pictures I took; FULL SET AT FLIKR

Enjoy.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3
  5. LukeP

LukeP Gigabyte Poster

Grats on the job mate. Well done. :thumbleft

WIP: Uhmm... not sure