Ghosting

Discussion in 'Software' started by Mr.Cheeks, Nov 1, 2006.

1. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

Bloody hell, i done a lot of threads today!

...anyway, could anyone recommend an easy to use, reliable ghosting product and give me a small review on how they found it.

I may be getting quite a few lappies to ghost in the next few weeks, so i'd rather start trial and testing now..,

Cheers...

2. drum_dude

drum_dude Gigabyte Poster

Norton Ghost

Certifications: MCP, MCSA 2000 , N+, A+ ,ITIL V2, MCTS, MCITP Lync 2010 & MCSA 2008, Sonus SATP SBC 1k/2k
    WIP: Hopefully Skype for Business and some Exchange stuff...
  3. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Ghost?

Its the dog's whatnots if you ask me! and, if you have access to a RIS server and the lappy's NIC's are PXE you can start a session through the RIS server.

What sort of info were you looking for?

4. Mr.Cheeks

all these are stand alone pc's for normal people. the person has a business and always ghost machines every 6 months for the user, so he was telling me if i could ghost them on his behalf then he give me some money.

When i say Ghost i mean like imaging software, Nero Backup, Norton Ghost? get tit

5. drum_dude

drum_dude Gigabyte Poster

Norton Ghost is easy to use and is reliable...don't see what there is to get?

Certifications: MCP, MCSA 2000 , N+, A+ ,ITIL V2, MCTS, MCITP Lync 2010 & MCSA 2008, Sonus SATP SBC 1k/2k
    WIP: Hopefully Skype for Business and some Exchange stuff...
  6. fortch

fortch Kilobyte Poster

I use DriveImageXML -- it's freeware, but only works on XP (H&P) and 2003. Plus, it uses Volume Shadow Services (VSS), so you can fire off an image on a hot drive! Nice. Oh, did I mention it's free?

Certifications: A+,Net+,Sec+,MCSA:Sec,MCSE:Sec,mASE
  7. Baba O'Riley

Baba O'Riley Gigabyte Poster

Sorry?:blink

Anyway, I was also going to recommend DriveImageXML. For a freebie, it's class.

Certifications: A+, Network+
    WIP: 70-270
  8. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Acronis True Image does the job for me.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  9. Steve.L

Steve.L Byte Poster

Ditto and dead easy to use ;)

Steve

Certifications: N+, MCP, MCTS, RHCT, VCP4 and 5, RHCSA
    WIP: ccna
  10. Clyde

Clyde Megabyte Poster

use the s/w most companies use, then it benefits your career long term! I guess norton ghost fits the bill....

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA, MCSE
    WIP: MCITP
  11. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

Drive image 5 by powerquest is a simple and effective imaging tool :biggrin

Anything later such as version 7 is not as good also partition magic and Drive image has been bought out by Nortons:rolleyes:

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+
  12. Clay

Clay Bit Poster

Personally, I use Acronis TrueImage 9. It is v easy to use. can store the image in a hidden share and is very efficient on space. I wouldn't worry abot using a so called atandard when it comes to 'ghost'ing as if you can use one then you should have the cognisance to use them all. Don't under sell the worth of being abale to learn.:eek:

Certifications: LCGI ECDL AMInstLM MCP
    WIP: MCSA 70-215
  13. Mr.Cheeks

cheers for the info guys.

next part to this question.

you know these companies, they have a recovery partition, how is this set up? and would the same software like one's listed do this?

14. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

I am not sure about the others but Drive Image 5 works through dos. You need to make two bootable floppy drives, to load drive image, select the drive to image and then choose high compact or low compact, depending how much space you have on your HD.

Oh Cr@p I forgot you must parttition your HD with parttion magic before imaging otherwise you wont be able to save it.:D

15. Mr.Cheeks

Why two bootable floppies?

16. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

DR5 works outside of windows OS.
    Therefore you need one disk with standard bootable files such as autoexe and batch files and mouse drivers. The second disk has drive image program.:biggrin

17. Mr.Cheeks

if the second floppy has the image program, are you referring as DR5 on the second floppy and then that loads the image from the partition?