ghost replacement (Symantec RIP)

Discussion in 'Software' started by Zainek, May 3, 2010.

1. Zainek

Zainek Nibble Poster

just a quickie really,

How many of you lot are using Acronis imaging can anyone recommend another solution ?
    I'm still stuck with the ghost solution suite and haven't seen anything else better to implement apart from
    Acronis really, but interested in alternatives i did like wds in wink28, but too bland really and not so mature in features etc.

Certifications: MCTS, ITILv3 F, MCTS, MBCS, MCITP:EA C&G
    WIP: CCA Xenapp 5.0 & VMWARE
  2. LukeP

LukeP Gigabyte Poster

If WDS is not enough I'd look at SCCM.
    I'm sure SimonD will reply soon recommending the very same product.

Last edited: May 3, 2010
    WIP: Uhmm... not sure
  3. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

In order of cost.

WDS (Free with the OS)
    MDT2010 (Free from MS)
    SCCM 2007 SP2 (R2) - Cost and technical installation considerations to be taken into account.

SCCM is the replacement for SMS and really is a great product, much more than just a deployment tool.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  4. Finkenstein

Finkenstein Kilobyte Poster

We have moved from Ghost to SCCM to do our OS Deployment. After the initial setup, it really allows for great image maintenance.

Acronis is really good for home use and small businesses in my opinion. I've not used it for any corporate image deployments though... not sure of the abilities of the application.

Certifications: MCP, Network+, CCENT, ITIL v3
    WIP: 640-822
  5. BB88

BB88 Kilobyte Poster Gold Member

We currently use Acronis at our work, but I have found PartedMagic to be a very worthy and free alternative.

Certifications: CompTIA A+, CompTIA Network+, MCSA: Office 365,, 70-410, 70-680
    WIP: CompTIA: Security+
  6. Zainek

Zainek Nibble Poster

i have toyed with sccm2k7 and am building a testlab with it.
    I think this is going to be the one for me now sccm2k7

Once i fix my little san issue i have at mo

Certifications: MCTS, ITILv3 F, MCTS, MBCS, MCITP:EA C&G
    WIP: CCA Xenapp 5.0 & VMWARE
  7. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

I still prefer Ghost - only through familiarity really, rather than because of any specific benefit it offers over any of the competition. I have been tinkering with FOG at home, but not sure how well that would scale up and out in a corporate environment. Individual imaging is a breeze, but I'm a bit leery of anything that multicasts, because it's so difficult to get it right.

I'm going to try and get a test lab up and run a few users on VMs using VDI/VMWare View/Whatever EMC's marketing twonks are calling it this week. If that proves a viable alternative, I'm going to suggest moving our call centre over to it in Q1 next year - that will remove my need to provide imaging completely, and cut our Ghost license from budget.

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em