Getting your employer to support your training/development?

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by dhorton, Jun 28, 2006.

1. dhorton

dhorton Bit Poster

Hello,

I work in local government and I'm attempting to obtain SQL Server 2005 MCTS certification. I initially started out on my own undertaking self-study as my employers stated that they'd fund some SQL Server 2005 training courses with Learning Tree International. They have now said that they do not have sufficient funds in the budget!
    So, to at least get some form of official training and development in place at work I broached the subject of them supporting me in pursuing MCTS accreditation by self-study. They have agreed in principle, and i'm trying to put a figure on the number of hours (weekly) I can reasonably ask them to put aside for study/training? And what additional resources (books, on-line workshops etc.) I could ask for?

Has anyone else been in a similar position and what hours/resources have been allocated?

Cheers,

Dom

Certifications: Business Objects CR, MCTS SQL Server
  2. The_Geek

The_Geek Megabyte Poster

Things must be different across the pond.

Here where I work, they would like us all to be CCNA certified. They'll send us to the classes, but other than that we have to do any reading/studying on our time.

Certifications: CompTIA and Micro$oft
    WIP: PDI+
  3. dhorton

dhorton Bit Poster

Not sure things are that different!

Asking them to allocate some time in work for me to study is a much cheaper option for them than sending me to classes. What many employers fail to realise is that specifc training has direct positive benefits to the company, time lost to study time is soon recouped throught work efficiencies. Providing training/development strategies also aids employee retention!

cheers,

dom

4. mattwest

mattwest Megabyte Poster

I guess i'm lucky, i'm also local government and my boss is of the mind that the more training we have the more knowledge, skill and work he is getting out of us.

In the 18 months i've worked there i've been off site on Exchange 2003, SQL 2000, Citrix, VB Scripting and Wireless courses which is around 21 days of training.

This year i'm going on ITIL, Security+, CCDA and IIS training with APACHE, UNIX and possibly PRINCE2 next year.

I think we are also lucky that we have a pretty good training budget whereas other councils have virtually nothing set aside.

However i also pay my boss back by working hard and gaining certifications through self study to make the most of the courses. For example i'm just upgraded (today!!) my MCSA in 2003 to an MCSE in 2003 which has been hard work.

However inthe past i've been in the position where the comany will provide the books and pay for the exam but i had to study in my own time - lunchtimes, evenings etc..........:blink

Certifications: See my signature...
    WIP: Maybe re-certify my CCNA
  5. dhorton

dhorton Bit Poster

I think a lot depends on your managers way of thinking!

6. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

As another local government employee, this time in a school, from my perspective it is extremely hard for me to get any training from my employer.

They will part fund academic courses, I have completed an FdSc in IT Networking at a local uinversity, and will be returning to do a top up in september, but all of the work has been put in 'on my own time'. As for Certifications it seems (well, I know) that they do not understand the value of them because the education system is based on academic acheivement, and not professional certifications, hence they will not fund them.

The school where I work sets strict funding levels on how much they will support staff in their development, at last check it was £300 per year per person. Well, there's my PD fund gone even before I pay the Uni fee's!

7. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

I think this kind of training depends on 3 things:

Your job sector
    Your company's attitude towards training
    Your manager's attitude towards your personal development.

Assess all three, and see how you want to approach the situation. Just over a year ago, I was a forklift driver for a landscaping manufacturer. I approached the HR team, and gave them a plan asking to assist in funding for a business and computing degree I wanted to do with the OU. I was willing to sign a contract, handing myself over to the company so they could get their money's worth. They looked at the plan, then they looked at what I did in their wonderful company. Then they told me I needed more qualifications before I could do a degree. I have 5 A Levels. They may as well have slapped me in the face.

Not so long after that though, I applied for a job in sales, same company. I've been doing that job for a year now, and studying for A+ with plans to make it through to CCNA/NP. I have a manager that's encouraged by my desire to develop. In the last year she's sent me on assertiveness training, a sales course, allowing me to go on a project management course, as well as my computing. She's also pushing to get me involved in the IT side of the company.

My other half, is with a rather small company. He's an electrician, and despite the company being rather small, they gave him day release to do his ONC, and probably will so he can do his HND/C as well. They realise, similair to a post above, that developing internally that way isn't only cheaper when just providing training; it's cheaper than hiring in someone that already has that qualification.

Just draw up a plan as best you can; be confident. And even if they say no, that's not the end of it. Keep us posted on how you get on!

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  8. elli5on

elli5on Kilobyte Poster

I would have to agree that it would depend on how your company feels as a whole regarding training development.
    Sure it's nice that a company would offer the chance to further whilst in work, But to some extent this would have to be beneficial to your employer also.

Maybe there way of thinking that if one person has asked for additional time to study whilst at work. A number of ''SHEEP'' will follow suite, Thus making the employer revise the situation and maybe thinking home study would be more benficial to themselves financially.

On the other hand, depending on what line of businesss you are in would also be a key factor in these decisions. Its not unheard of for an employer to back an employee throughout their studies. Only to be ''kicked in the teeth'' once certification has been gained.

If i were an owner of a business, Sure i would want to help out any individual who feels the need to further their career dependant on what circumstances had been laid down.
    If its beneficial to an employer, i would have to say they should back the employees 100%(Under contratc negotiation of course), to avoid the ''kick in the teeth'' upon study exam completion.

Certifications: A+ N+
    WIP: Thinking of MCDST
  9. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

It all depends on how you approach the people who will make the final decision. You need to talk to them in the language that they will understand. If you go in there and say 'I want training, I could do A+ then N+ then an MCSE then CCNA...' etc then they'll look at you like you're from Mars. You need to pitch it to them with costs, objectives, timelines and benefits to the company.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  10. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

I am funding my own MCSE training (the redundancy cheque from my last job has covered it!) but my current boss has offered to give me £2k cash when I (eventually!) pass the MCSE. I can put books and study materials on my expenses which is handy and I’ve been able to get a couple of days off work when an exam date is getting close.

It really depends on your manager’s attitude and primarily if there is a training budget available. Also if you get training paid for by your boss expect to have to pay it back if you leave directly after passing the cert. :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  11. phoenix510

phoenix510 Byte Poster

Simon seeing as you will be my boss over the summer holidays can I have some funding for some PD. :D

Certifications: ECDL, MOS WORD & Excel, MCDST
    WIP: A+ & 70-270
  12. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Certainly, how much would you like.....There's Bugger All, or Sweet F All! :p

13. dhorton

dhorton Bit Poster

There has been a tendancy at my current place of work to 'pidgeon-hole' employees into roles and take the view that that is all they are capable of! This could be due to insecurity further up the tree (knowledge is power mentality!).

I will put forward a business case outlining the benefits to my company and see how it goes..........

14. Baba O'Riley

Baba O'Riley Gigabyte Poster

I get no direct help for my training from my employer as I had embarked on my course before I started there (new courses are different however). What I did get is the permission to work on my certs during quiet moments and a £250 bonus when I passed my A+ (hopefully I look forward to that for all my certs).

My suggestion to anyone having trouble convincing an employer to support training would be to suggest that you pay for the training up front, and once you pass and prove your committment, they reimburse you or pay for further training.

Certifications: A+, Network+
    WIP: 70-270