1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Getting started?

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by robotnic, Sep 1, 2011.

1. robotnic

robotnic Bit Poster

Hi all.

I recently decided to get into IT from scratch (at least with an A-Level in IT and a non-related degree). Had some good advice from peeps in this forum to avoid CCNA qual for now and look at A+, ITIL or MCTS whilst looking for 1st line support jobs. My conundrum is the recommended experience for getting certified in A+ for example is 500 hours. I imagine that a 1st line support job would want something on the CV too.

Its a bit of a chicken and egg puzzle deciding on a first move.:blink Should I study A+ material and apply for 1stLS jobs? Is there anything worth doing to boost my CV? Can I expect not to qualify for A+ until i have worked 500 hours?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Nic

2. Wireless_Snake

Wireless_Snake Nibble Poster

The CompTIA qualifications give you a broad knowledge but specify venders I would recommend that you take both the A+ and the N+ gives you a starting point while your working in or applying for 1st Line Support.

Certifications: BSc (Hons) Computer Network Tech, CCNA, CCAI
    WIP: CCNP, VCP 5, SCP
  3. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

The A+ is regarded as entry-level by pretty much everyone, which means that experience isn't necessary. CompTIA themselves say that 500 hours (which is only 12 weeks full-time work, if you look at it that way) is only recommended, not compulsory.
    Aim for the A+ first. If you decide the cost of the exams isn't worth the cert then at least satisfy yourself that you're at that level. It's a solid foundation for all flavours of entry-level jobs.

Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job
  4. fliquid

fliquid Nibble Poster

I wouldn't let the 500 hours recommendation put you off - If you study hard, you'll pass just fine.

Re: CV boosting - getting some kind of experience always helps, even if you have to volunteer (if you can afford to)

+1 for taking the N+ exam too (Concentrate on the A+ first though!). Some good stuff to learn in that one.....

Certifications: MCDST, A+, N+, S+, ITIL v3F, 70-642
    WIP: CCENT
  5. robotnic

robotnic Bit Poster

Thanks everyone. Really helpful advice again.

Kinda glad I can get on with the quals. Want to get moving. Will look into voluntary opportunities too. Have a little spare time with only working pt at the moment.

Anyone got any recommendations for A+ study material?

6. slipned

slipned Bit Poster

yep you could try mike meyers... hes considered to be pretty cool CompTIA A+ Certification All-in-One Exam Guide, Seventh Edition Exams 220-701 & 220-702

Last edited: Sep 6, 2011
  7. andylad9

andylad9 Byte Poster

Yeah I second the Mike Meyers A+ book, just finished it myself.

Also, theres a section in the introduction which walks you through your experience too give a indication of how many hours of study you require...very rough of course...but it was useful for me.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | 70-680 | 70-685 | MTA Server
    WIP: deciding now...