Getting Started

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by scott.baron, Nov 16, 2006.

1. scott.baron

scott.baron New Member

My name is Scott and i am leaving the British Army after 6 years in the Royal Signals. I have worked as a Window NT4 Network Administrator and a Exchange 5.5 administrator on a Network with 250+ Users. My courses were ran by a training provider called Learning Tree are my certificates recognised in the I.T world?

I also have grants from the Army to take part in other Courses to better my chances of Employment when i leave.

Does anybody have any recomendations or advise on which courses to do?

I would also like to know the employability once i get released from the courses?

Many thanks

Scott

2. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Hi Scott and welcome to CF and civvy street 8)

As for your certs, what are they? If they are just certs from a training provider that state you have passed their course, well they are not really going to impress anyone. The certs people are after are the ones recognised by the IT industry, such as CompTIA a globally recognised vendor neutral company.

Then there are vendor specific certs like Microsoft MCP / MSDST / MCSA / MCSE / MCDBA etc and Cisco CCNA / CCNP etc.

As you have been in the IT game for a while and as you have experience with NT and Exchange 5.5, you might want to consider going for Microsoft certs in their latest incarnation ie Server 2003 track, starting with XP 70-270.

Good luck
    Pete

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  3. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Hi Scott,

Welcome aboard.

Good luck with the job hunting. Considering you have experience, you might want to consider self study.
    If, however, the Army are prepared to help fund for training with a provider, you might have to choose from their list of approved providers.

Best of luck; there is loads of support on here.

Si

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  4. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

Hi and welcome to CF!

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics