Getting security clearance

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by exonje, Oct 22, 2012.

1. exonje

exonje Byte Poster

Hi guys, I have just accepted a job with a major IT company and can't believe my luck. However, this is subject to getting security clearance which is making me panic a little. Does anyone have SC or have any experience and can help me? On my CV I only mention 3 of my 5 jobs, I left 2 after a couple of weeks and never mention them in interviews or on my CV as I was only there for a short period of time and are not IT related. There are also a couple of gaps in my CV where I was only working part time. Does this matter? If someone could help me that would be great, really want this job as I would be starting a very promising career with a huge company. Thanks.

2. RichyV

RichyV Megabyte Poster

Hi, if it is SC only then this should be the routine:

HTH

Last edited: Oct 22, 2012
    Certifications: B.Sc.(Hons), MBCS. MCP (271,272), MCDST, MCTS (680), MCITP:EDST7, MCSA:WIN7, MCPS, MCNPS
    WIP: 70-686, then onto MCSE: Desktop Infrastructure via MCSA: Server 2012...
  3. Monkeychops

Monkeychops Kilobyte Poster

It's not checking your work history, it's checking your history :)

You'll need to provide previous addresses, and details on your parents (where they live, where they were born).

You also just have to answer some plain yes/no questions around things like are you a terrorist etc ;)

It's a pretty light check that only took me a few minutes to fill in the form once I had all the info.

4. exonje

exonje Byte Poster

thanks guys, made me a feel a little better. I have been offered 2 jobs, one starts monday, is better money but room for less career progression. The other job starts in 3 weeks and I need security clearance for and is for one of the biggest PC manufacturers in the world. Unsure what to do as im thinking if accept the security clearance job and dont get it because of my iffy job history I will be stuck without a job for xmas!

5. Cunningfox

Cunningfox Byte Poster

Just to confirm, job history is irrelevant... well mostly for SC clearance they may raise an eyebrow if your last job was abroad in a questionable country. However, do not expect it to take only 3 weeks try 1-3 months to actually get cleared. Deffinately find out if you can start ahead of being cleared if clearance is required or you might be waiting a while.

Certifications: CCNP, CCNA, MCP
    WIP: ??
  6. Mr_Cellophane

Mr_Cellophane Nibble Poster

SC takes 12 weeks. Never less and sometimes slightly longer. It is unusual for companies to take on uncleared people for SC roles due to the long lead period. They will either get someone who is (or has been cleared in the past) or get someone internal cleared. It also costs several hundred pounds so is not something they do if they don't have to.
    Be honest on the forms. I have heard of someone passing with a criminal conviction that they put down and someone else failing because they didn't mention a motoring offence. It is not only your trustworthyness, but are you likely to be open to blackmail or bribes ?
    I have been cleared 3 times (Tarmac, EDS and Met Police). Clearance lasts 5 or 10 years (seems random how long you get) and if you leave the employed who holds the Certificate then it expires after a year. You can transfer it between companies so make sure you know exactly who holds it any any one time. I have moved my present one 3 or 4 times now.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDST, MCNE, PRINCE 2 and ITIL
    WIP: MCSE 2003
  7. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

The only problem I have would be remembering exact dates for some of these things. I have had a couple of motoring convictions (speeding) but I can't remember when because they were in excess of 5 years ago and are subsequently off my driving license. Same with exact dates when I lived at various addresses, hell I have lived all over the world due to previous work with the Army and I do know that at one point in my life I held PVTS and in the last 4 years or so was cleared for CTC.

I guess that's one of the reasons why I don't bother with SC\DV roles these years is because I just couldn't tell you exact dates (or previous girlfriends etc).

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  8. Monkeychops

Sc is really no big deal, from what I remember it was addresses that cover the last 5 years, doesn't matter about previous girl friends.

Sc is nothing more than a glorified credit check with regards to the info it asks for, the most taxing thing for me was what's your parents address and where were they born.

And if you don't know the details you give your best guess, I had to note down a surname change from just after I was born and they asked the reason. I had no idea and my dad's not around to ask anymore so left it blank.

I got a call from them just saying did I know and if not no bother.

DV is a different animal however, but even then all you do is give as much info as you can and its up to them to asses things.

End of the day they can check dates of convictions rather easily, they are more interested in the fact that you disclose it rather then trying to hide something.

9. exonje

exonje Byte Poster

I was meant to start nearly a month ago but my date keeps getting pushed back as the clearance is taking so long. Im gutted as obviously christmas is coming up and my first pay will be the end of december. Oh well, got to think of the bigger picture, massive company with lots of opportunities to progress!

10. Beerbaron

Beerbaron Megabyte Poster

Once you have been cleared for a period does it make the next one quicker?

Certifications: BSc (Hons), MSc, ITIL v3F, MCP, MCDST, MCITP: edst7, MCTS, MCSA: Server 2003, MCSA: Windows 7, N+, NVQ IT lvl 3, MCSA Windows 7, VCP5, CCENT, CEH
    WIP: CISSP
  11. Mr_Cellophane

Like I said
    Even renewing with the same employer after 5/10 years takes 12 weeks. Think of it like your MOT. If proves your car was road worthy on that day, nothing more. Next years MOT isn't quicker because you passed last years. The only bit that is easier is filling in the forms because you found out all the info on your parents , where you lived, etc last time.

- - - Updated - - -

I left a job at a nuclear plant 5 weeks ago, my first replacement finished last week because his clearance didn't come though. It is odd as he got the job over someone else because his SC was ready to transfer.
    So exonje, I don't want to worry you, but personnally I would find a short term contract to tide you over till the New Year.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2012
  12. exonje

exonje Byte Poster

Literally just had an email come through that I have got my security clearance, I start monday. Over the bloody moon is an understatement!

Last edited: Nov 19, 2012
  13. Mr_Cellophane

So how long did it take from when you sent the forms off ?

14. Beerbaron

Beerbaron Megabyte Poster

I'm looking at a potential job but this would require SC which I currently do not have. I would be pretty annoyed if i got turned down for merely not having this.

Certifications: BSc (Hons), MSc, ITIL v3F, MCP, MCDST, MCITP: edst7, MCTS, MCSA: Server 2003, MCSA: Windows 7, N+, NVQ IT lvl 3, MCSA Windows 7, VCP5, CCENT, CEH
    WIP: CISSP
  15. exonje

exonje Byte Poster

3 weeks

16. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Top Poster
    of the Month

Well done exonje, be handy on your CV. Mine took 4 weeks but I know some taking 6 months, its all very random. I think it used to be the case that as long as your paperwork was submitted, you could work, but the world being how it is, you need it before you start these days, unless your employer has unrestricted work they can put you on before you begin the work you were brought in to do.

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
    exonje likes this.
  17. Monkeychops

It can vary from place to place, at one of my previous employers whilst you needed SC to be on site they let you in if it was all in progress, but you were not given access to any of the account systems, data etc until it had all gone through.

As for timings it depends on a few things, some places seem to get their applications pushed through a little quicker, and there's definitely no across the board minimum of 12 weeks.

At said previous employer I was lucky as I just needed mine transferring, so as I had the proof I had it I was good to go, but the other new starters had to wait ages for theirs as apparently all vetting applications for the Olympics were taking priority. If you weren't involved in that then you were put to the back of the queue :p