Getting Rid of "always trust downloads from this site&q

Discussion in 'Networks' started by tripwire45, Mar 26, 2004.

1. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

One of the tests we're running requires our subjects to download a file from a remote site. The security window is supposed to pop up each time asking if you want to trust this download. In the last test, before anyone could stop him, the user clicked the box "always trust downloads from this site". We do not want that setting but no one seems to be able to figure out (including me) how to get rid of it. One of the developers said it should be in the registry but can't find it. The machine is a Compaq running Windows 98 SE. Help! Thanks

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  2. SimonV
    Honorary Member

SimonV Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Do you mean a security warning similar to the one you get at the MS update site like this?

[​IMG]

Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...
  3. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

Yes but now we have a whole new problem.

In trying to fix the problem of deleting the "always trust downloads from this site", on of our usability experts went into Internet Options, security, trusted sites, sites and deleted some sort of hp root certificate. Now, when a user tries to download a printer driver from hp's site clicking on "install now" rather than "download now" we get a message saying that we need to do a one-time download of an installmanager. When we click ok, it says we have to download the thing and says "try again" or "cancel". We click on try again repeatedly but no go.

The person suggested I reimage the HDD from a ghosted image. I looked for said-image CDs and find a couple but they aren't labeled. I have no idea which one is which (different operating systems) and I'm afraid of putting the wrong one in and hosing everything. No OEM operating system disks I can find and I'm not sure any of this would solve the problem anyway.

We set up an ME machine for the next round of tests and it performs fine. I was wondering if just copying the certificates out of the ME machine's trusted sites list into the ailing 98 machine would do the trick. I can't believe there isn't a way to download, copy or replace the missing certificate in IE. Another "HELP

4. SimonV
    Honorary Member

SimonV Petabyte Poster Gold Member

You may be able to delete the activeX plugin from "C:\WINDOWS\Downloaded Program Files" to bring back the security warning but not sure of your certificate problem. Sorry :(

Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...
  5. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

I see the most recent file in C:\WINDOWS\Downloaded Program Files is dated 8/21/03 and last accessed on today's date. All of the other files have older creation dates. It doesn't look like any one of them could be the file in question.

I'm thinking that if I copy the files that this person deleted from the same area on another machine (the Windows ME lab machine comes to mind) then I can restore the functionality that I want. Unlike the other person, I am timid about just deleting files I don't understand.

How's that sound?

6. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Trip, if I understand it correctly the 'experts' deleted a root certificate?

Maybe you could find out which one (compare the machine with the lab machine), export the appropriate certificate, copy it to the other machine and import it through internet options.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  7. Japes

Japes Bit Poster

Done this myself in a lab excerise a while back (wanted to see what would happen :))

As Nugget said and if I've remembered correctly you'll need to export the certificate form one machine and re-import it on the "broken" machine. This should resolve the issue as the cert will then be valid. Also (and again if memeory serves) the certs are not apart of IE but apart of the OS, so re-installing IE won't solve the problem.

I seem to remember finding as M$ article on it at the time, but it would have been for w2k. If 98 has some sort of event viewer (long time since I did any troubleshooting on 98) get some details from that and or from any error messages and do a general search at the link below. failing that good old Google.co.uk may come up with something.

MS knowledgebase

HTH

8. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

The test is going fine with the replacement machine so I might just take the 98 computer and reload the OS. It may seem more drastic but it's probably easier than finding the correct root certificate and exporting it to the other machine. At least one of these machines is going "bye-bye" in the near future so I don't want to have to mess with them any more than necessary. I'll just bring my 98 disk from home (I can't find any of the original OS disks for the 98 and Me machines at work...the labs are a mess) and reload the thing. Hopefully, that will solve a multitude of problems including the blue screen problem it has had in the past. I'll have to reload a few apps but nothing serious.

To the best of my knowledge, I don't think Win98 has an event viewer...at least not in the Windows 2000/XP sense. I can't find anything like that in Control Panel (I've got a 98 machine at home). If you know where it is on a 98 machine, let me know. I always like to learn something new. Thanks.