1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

getting ready to skill up - advice please

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by rockstar6181, May 16, 2010.

1. rockstar6181

rockstar6181 Byte Poster

Hi there,

I did some certications many years ago (A+, Network+ and MCSA 2003). I haven’t really added anything to it in the last 4 years or so.

I feel it’s time to really get serious about my career and want to really make a push at learning lots of new skills and make myself as employable as possible. I am currently 29.

I am currently working in a 2nd/3rd line support role for a client of about 6000 users. Been doing this nearly 4 years. I do project work when resourced within this role too. Prior to that I did IT support work in a call centre for 5 years. So all in all I have 9 years worth of IT experience under my belt along with A+, Network + and MCSA certifications.

I really enjoy the 2nd/3rd line desktop support role I currently do as it’s so varied and I enjoy interacting with the users. I also get to do some server based work/admin in my role mainly managing printer servers, WSUS update server etc.

I would like to one day work in a role where I do a bit of everything (server, desktop, comms etc) - I know this is becoming quite rare for some companies as they dedicated teams.

For time being though I would just like to concentrate on skilling up rather than trying to change jobs.
    I would like to obtain the following certifications over the next 18 months or so –

MCITP Server 2008 Admin
    MCITP messaging admin
    Citrix CCA
    Cisco CCNA
    Something with VMware
    Something with Office/share point

I would also like to do some study in other areas but maybe not do a certifcation in them - you know just to get some grounding on the systems/tech etc

Can anyone advise any other areas which I should maybe look at?

Any input is welcome.
    Certifications: A/N+ MCSA 2003
  2. dmarsh

dmarsh Terabyte Poster

Well entirely depends on your interests and career goals.

Sounds like you have a pretty hefty list already, could well take you a few years to learn and cert on all that.

Stuff not on your list ?

Maybe Linux, PowerShell, MS SQL Server, but these again depend on your job and interests.

Not looked at the MCITP Admin track, maybe it covers some PowerShell.
    Certifications: CITP, BSc, HND, SCJP, SCJD, SCWCD, SCBCD, SCEA, N+, Sec+, Proj+, Server+, Linux+, MCTS, MCPD, MCSA, MCITP, CCDH