Getting off the phones, quickest route?

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by millsie, Feb 20, 2011.

1. kevicho

kevicho Gigabyte Poster

Yep, and when you dont use what you have learned in 6 months new knowledge will have replaced these skills.

I remember working for an ISP, i lasted there about a month, for the 3 weeks I was on the phone my name was at the top of the call table, and that was doing the job properly, not fobbing people off.

Needless to say I was let go as I was off ill for 2 days, and also some trumped up rubbish about saying "Blackberries were cheap tat from China, when what I really said was I had supported Blackberrys in my previous server, including a couple of instances where the user was in China" while in a conversation with a customer while a switch rebooted

Needless to say I doubt ill work in a call centre again as the whole philosophy of them, but in fairness as a starting role you get to hone quite a few important skills, even if you are just reading from a script.

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCSA Server 2003, 2008, Windows XP & 7 , ITIL V3 Foundation
    WIP: CCNA Renewal
  2. danielno8

danielno8 Gigabyte Poster

You haven't said exactly how long you have been in IT for? Also, what experience have you got?

There may be jobs out there which your experience level can fill.

Certifications: CCENT, CCNA
    WIP: CCNP
  3. Rob1234

Rob1234 Megabyte Poster Forum Leader

There has been some good advice given and you should take it all on board even the MCSE bit at my last place we had a lad doing 1st line and he had the MCSE and my old boss said he asked him how he got the MCSE with no experience he said he taught himself and used labs to learn it all my boss was impressed and said he must really want to work in IT if he puts that much effort and determation in to learning about IT. So he gave him his first IT break and helped him on his way.

He did not use much of the MCSE skills he learnt right away but after a few years he was given more responsilbity he re-read the books brushed up his knowledge and got stuck in.

Certifications: A few.
  4. j1mgg

j1mgg Kilobyte Poster

If you are working hard and showing that you know the systems inside out or at least to a good degree a decent place will try and move you onto 2nd line where you will still have to pick the phone now and again but you will also get to do alot more problem solving and dealing with other IT departments or companies. I know this isnt always a possible step and the only other option is to look else where.

Remember alot of jobs out there you will still have to use a phone as we cant speak to everyone face to face.

Certifications: Comptia A+, ITIL V3 Foundation, MCDST, 70-270, 70-290
    WIP: 70-291, security+ and SSCP
  5. millsie

millsie Byte Poster

Of course I know we need to speak on the phone to people, but I no longer want to continuously take calls all day, thats what i'm getting at. Its not for me, I feel that you haven't got the chance to learn as quick if all you are doing is logging calls and then trying to fix stuff in-between!

Some days it really does feel as someone I work with said, 'we are just glorified call loggers'! It does feel like that some days and I'm bored of it. If the job had more variety in the calls, as in, there was more time to focus on fixes rather than calls that would be great and I can't wait for that day. I always read what people are up to in their normal jobs on this forum and i'm jealous most of the time!:cry:

I am currently looking elsewhere as its not going to be as easy as moving up to 2nd line where I am and I don't think I want to in that company anyways

Certifications: N+, CCNA, MCDST
    WIP: CCNP route 642-902
  6. j1mgg

j1mgg Kilobyte Poster

It sounds like you already know what you want to do, but as with everywhere at the moment it is finding that job. You are just going to maybe concentrate on applying for desktop or field technicians job and then all you could be doing all day is changing toners. Just going have to slow down a bit as alot of the things you read on here will probably be from people that have been working in the industry for over 5 years or the 1 in a 1000 that got the job for a good company. I know a couple of companies that sound similar to the one where you are and staff have been cut back and amount of time on the phone cut back so if it cant be fixed in 6mins call logged it to somewhere else.

Just got to keep your chin up and keep on going and looking for another job.

Certifications: Comptia A+, ITIL V3 Foundation, MCDST, 70-270, 70-290
    WIP: 70-291, security+ and SSCP