Getting miffed

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by zxspectrum, Jan 11, 2013.

1. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

Im keeping positive and still looking for a break in IT, im applying to a lot of first line support roles but im not getting much back. So after signing on before i decided to ask for an appointment about being self employed for which i have an interview in 2 weeks, to discuss with an adviser.

Im thinking of doing this for obvious reasons but also i know (i think) i can just go back to normal working life if it doesn't work out, and when applying for a job i can put down that which i think will show an employer that i have the guts to go down this route perhaps, i just feel i need to try something as im looking at jobsites knowing i can do the jobs but not being given the chance to prove myself

Anyone done this route or knows of anyone who has??

Ed

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
  2. jvanassen

jvanassen Kilobyte Poster

When your saying self employed what do you actually mean? Your own PC repair buisness?

Certifications: CompTIA A+, Network+, CCENT
    WIP: ICND2 200-101
  3. zxspectrum

Yes exactly that, i know it wont be a walk in the park but i need to do something

Ed

4. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Sounds good mate. I did the same thing when I graduated – I set up my own business and starting repairing PCs etc. I also did a couple of websites and wrote a software application for a shop – basically a stock control application.

It meant I had some IT experience to put on my CV and I got my first full time IT job about 6 months later.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  5. zxspectrum

Cheers Sparky

Thats why im thinking of doing it, if it works out that i can make a living out of it then good, but as you say it is something to put on the CV when going for a job

Ed

6. ade1982

ade1982 Megabyte Poster

Thinking ahead ... you can advertise in the freeads, the local paper, etc. Anything that doesn't cost a fortune. Just make sure you undercut the competition :D

7. jvanassen

jvanassen Kilobyte Poster

I did exactly this also. Passed my A+ and N+ whilst working full time at a paint shop and wasn't really having much luck applying for jobs even though I was applying for plenty so I went ahead and setup my own business offering mobile computer repair. I bought some web hosting made myself quite a simple website showing what i do and my qualifications etc. Like ade1982 said i made sure i undercut the computer shop just up the road to me.

I made a facebook page which is where most of my customers over the 4 month period came from. I did alot of advertising across facebook, posting links and offers into local group pages. Further along the line i also got some leaflets and business cards made up. It was really worthwhile though, gave me some good experience and also most importantly it was something to put on my CV. After around 4 months of doing this i then got an interview and got the job to which i stopped doing it as i spend alot of time commuting etc n just wanted to focus on my job rather and then getting home n having to continue work.

The only downside to the short length of period i did it though was that i now have like 500 leaflets and 200 buisness cards left over sat around lol. It was definetly beneficial though and my current boss who gave me my second interview was impressed with everything i had done and how much get up and go i had with everything i had done with the buisness so i would highly recommend cracking on with it.

Alot of the customers i got were screen replacements, replacement inverters, keyboards, "health check" etc and i earnt a good bit of cash out of it.

EDIT: oh yea and a hell of alot of hard drive failures, which meant me ordering them new hard drives etc. (Ive never had a hard drive fail on me and i read alot in my A+ about hard drives going bad etc n was like well it cant be that common it has never happened to me then as soon as i started this buisness i must of literally had to do 5 HD replacements in a matter of 2-3 weeks, it was definetly a wake up call and gave me experience that yea hard drives do mess up lol)

Last edited: Jan 13, 2013
    Certifications: CompTIA A+, Network+, CCENT
    WIP: ICND2 200-101
  8. Mr_Cellophane

Mr_Cellophane Nibble Poster

Don't go self employed. Start you own Ltd company.

The tax breaks are better
    If you screew up someone's PC/network etc, you won't loose your house/car etc
    If you want to do a bit of contracting at the same time, you will need a company.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDST, MCNE, PRINCE 2 and ITIL
    WIP: MCSE 2003
  9. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

What data? :)

Long term a Ltd company is the best route but not as this stage as he is just starting up – need to get a business plan together and then see if the extra work is needed to setup a Ltd company.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs