Getting IT job.....frustration!

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Rondon, Jan 20, 2012.

1. Rondon

Rondon New Member

Hi Folks,

I've been looking for a job in IT for a year now since getting made redundant from IBM. I've applied for anything and anything relevant. I have 12 years experience at IBM (deskside support). I have a Msc Information technology, in the last few Months I have done 3 or of the 4 MCSA exams and the Comptia A+.

Does any one have any suggestions on what would be the most in demand certification in 2012? How you can get experience in technologies you have never worked with, good techsites...basically anything that will help would be much appreciated I've seen a lot of roles advertised looking for VMware, Citrix and linux based skills...is the the way to head?

Any ideas or suggestions on how I can get back in the game? I'm based in Glasgow.

Cheers

Ronnie.

Got MS70-270, 290, 291 and Comptia A+

WIP: CCNA and 70-263

2. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Unfortunately there are more and more people looking for roles and it's not going to get easier :(

2012 is definitely the year of the Cloud, more skills in Cloudy type technology is a must (VMware VCD, MS VMM etc). IT isn't the l33t industry it once was, there are more people getting certified these days which means more people applying for roles.

The only suggestion I really have at the moment is try and be adaptable, move for roles if that's what it takes (I have even moved country before to get a role, which worked out great for me as I met my wife whilst on that job), whilst you may have a family sometimes you have to do something extreme like working away from home during the week, especially if it means putting food on the table.

Good luck.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  3. TechTock

TechTock Byte Poster

It's unfortunately a sad reflection that someone with 12 years experience working for a multinational company can't walk into another job so feel for you. I would have a think on what path you want to take and design your learning around that. I certainly helps if you have an interest in that field. If your skills are in desk side support then maybe you need to start to think about making the next step into servers (which your doing with your MCSA). I would strongly recommend doing some Windows 2008 server exams as well. I would build on it gradually with say doing virtualisation technologies such as VMWare and Hyper-V. This is the point in your career that you need a home lab to learn on a copy of esxi or similar.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2012
    Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician | PRINCE2 Foundation | VCP5
    WIP: Having a rest :-)
  4. mcrilly

mcrilly Byte Poster

Rondon,

I'm sorry to hear you're having such a hard time finding another role. As the other guys have said, it's hard to believe you've had an issue when you've got 12 years experience under your belt. I wish you the best of luck with finding a new a job.

On the subject of changing roles, I would highly recommend you get some Linux skills (look at the Linux+ syllabus) and look at Virtualization, as suggested. To do this, consider an ESXi server (ESXi 5) and the VCP 5 certification syllabus. To get a pretty decent ESXi server setup, look at Kimsufi's offerings. For £40/month you can have a dedicated server with 16GB of RAM, quad core CPU and a 2TB HDD. On top of this you'll get the ESXi 5 hyper-visor (which is free from VMWare) so you can build an entire lab :-)

I hope this helps and again, good luck.

Certifications: CCENT
    WIP: CCNA, RHCE, & VCP