Getting into linux

Discussion in 'Linux / Unix Discussion' started by j1mgg, Nov 30, 2009.

1. j1mgg

j1mgg Kilobyte Poster

I was looking to get into using linux while i am taking a break frommy network+ studying.

I havent used it before and was looking at a decent book for starting with. I have seen a couple when i was in the book shop, mainly the dummies guide one and was wondering what you guys would suggest?

Thanks

Certifications: Comptia A+, ITIL V3 Foundation, MCDST, 70-270, 70-290
    WIP: 70-291, security+ and SSCP
  2. Danshand

Danshand Nibble Poster

I used the dummies guide when I first started out with Red Hat Linux, and I found it really helpful in learning the basics.

I would advise you start with Ubuntu Linux as its the most user friendly. Once you learn Ubuntu you will be able to start using other distros.

Download and install a copy of Ubuntu and play around with it, and you will be surprised how much you pick up just toying around. Most Linux distros also have a great community who will help you when you get stuck.

My advise is get Ubuntu, and an ubuntu specific book, and go from there.

Certifications: Many.
    WIP: MCITP, ITIL
  3. dazza786

dazza786 Megabyte Poster

one thing i have found from trying to 'learn' linux is that unless you have a specific use for it.. it isnt going to happen.

you could learn basics of administration, but unless you're going to use it, it'll be forgotten really... (by this i mean using the CLI)

in my opinion, it will take a serious amount of time to become administrator status

try running a few servers on there, apache, mysql, install a few forums, run a few game servers, ventrilo, all that kinda crap. get samba working with your domain. just mess about with it really. google is your main source of information

Certifications: MCP (271, 272, 270, 290, 291, 621, 681, 685), MCDST, MCTS, MCITP, MCSA, Security+, CCA(XA6.5)
  4. Morpeth

Morpeth Bit Poster

Couldnt agree more really. I have been using a *nix (OpenSolaris) as my main OS for about a year now, and simply using the same commands day in day out helps one remember. Get some services running on your system and get used to configuring them, explore the system, get to grips with some basic shell scripting.

And dont worry about which distro too much. You'll be using Bash/Dash most likely as a shell and any of the popular introductory texts will be usefull to you. Ubuntu is very user friendly I hear.

I recommend Beginning The Linux Command Line by Sander van Vugt

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Beginning-Linux-Command-Experts-Source/dp/1430218894

this will run you through some of the basics of linux admin.

There is also Pro Linux Sytem Administration by the same publisher - Despite the title its quite entry level.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Linux-Syste...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1263098033&sr=1-1

But most of all just use it day in day out, (dual boot your box if you only have one PC and need windows) and in no time you'll be compiling source code, writing scripts, SSH'ing in from your windows laptop remotely and whatnot.

Good luck

Certifications: A+ N+
    WIP: LPIC CCNA
  5. jiggy

jiggy Nibble Poster

I agree with what Dazza said. I have installed Linux multiple times but after the install I get to the "now what" stage and soon revert to windows. Unless you have a use for it or a project in mind then I suspect it will put on the back burner pretty quickly.

I have in the last week started using Linux Mint for web browsing, music that sort of thing and am finding it quite good. Its just a matter of forcing myself to start up the VM after Windows boots so that I keep at it.

Hope that helps

J.

Certifications: MCSE
    WIP: ABC's
  6. kicsiburcsi

kicsiburcsi Bit Poster

Hi,

The only way to learn it in my humble opinion is uninstall every windows machine in close proximity.
    I am using Linux Mint at the moment and trying to do the same things as I did before on Windows.
    I am having a lot of fun with it and it goes rather well. After a couple of weeks I am kinda familiar with the tools available and with the basics of how to use CLI.
    We have two servers at work running CentOS so it is time to learn it for me.
    Ubuntu is a good choice to learn and I think Linux Mint is also a very good choice.
    Just install it for your self and play around with it and most importantly do not give it up.:)
    I also have a book called "Linux Bible 2009 Edition" which have a lot of information about various distributions and all the basics you need.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2010
    Certifications: Comptia A+, MCP, MCDST
    WIP: 70-290, Degree in IT
  7. Morpeth

Morpeth Bit Poster

Lame. :) so lame.

-Use it as your main OS, as you would use Windows. Unless your into gaming, *nix will do everything your windows box does. If theres stuff you can't do, google and your introductory texts will help
    -Learn bash. Learn to do everything you need with the command line. This is fun. A solid understanding of the commad line will help you understand the power of *nix
    -Get services going. ftp, ssh, ntp, Samba, whatever. If you have a spare PC at home use it as your *nix file server. Host a web page off it. Whatever.
    -Learn Iptables and how to write firewall rules. You can use a *nix box as your firewall on your home network
    -Shell scripting is a great first start towards programming languages. Start with this and you are in a good position to move onto Python, Perl, PHP etc. This all made a lot more sense for me in the *nix environment than MS.

Theres endless stuff to learn. But dont just sit there staring at the default install for 10 minutes and go back to windows. The last year learning my unix distro and implementing on a home network has been some of the most fun I have had with computers.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2010
    Certifications: A+ N+
    WIP: LPIC CCNA
  8. jiggy

jiggy Nibble Poster

sounds like you had a use for it. I already have a setup that does most of what you list below but from a Cisco and MS perspecitve so really I had a solution looking for a problem.

Still, each to there own.

J

Certifications: MCSE
    WIP: ABC's