Getting from a call centre role into first line support

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by bwicks12, Jun 14, 2012.

1. bwicks12

bwicks12 Bit Poster

Hey there guys!

I'm just looking for some advice if possible.

I work within a call centre providing support for an OEM, quite basic stuff regarding Hardware and covering issues within a couple of different operating systems. I was recently promoted onto on-site support, whereby I liase with big clients with regard to part diagnosis and dispatch engineers with said parts to resolve system issues.

I'm looking to move out of the call centre environemt into more of a first line support position and wondered if you had any advice for me?

So far I have achieved my COMPTIA A+ certification, my exam for COMPTIA Network+ is due at the end of the month, I'm then looking to study ITILv3 Foundation, followed by MS 70-680 and then so on until I achieve MCITP: Enterprise.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Certifications: BTEC First Diploma for IT Practitioners, COMPTIA A+, TOSHIBA CSD PC Maintenence, CompTIA Network+
    WIP: ITILv3 Foundation, MCTS 70-680, 70-640, 70-642, 70-643 MCITP 70-647, 70-685, 70-686
  2. Naj

Naj Bit Poster

Imo, at this early stage in your IT career, experience is worth way more than certs. It seems natural then for you to move in to a Desktop Support role. I have 3 years experience of Desktop Support and that is only with A+, N+ and ITIL v3 foundation. Looking to maybe get an MCP to consolidate the experience before I make my move away from Desktop Support.

Certifications: NA
  3. Honda

Honda Bit Poster

Hi i am currently stuck in a call centre role, i was doing call cente technical support for nearly 3 years then because of redundancy moved to customer service with another telecoms company within the same company. I have been applying for lots of 1st line support analyst roles etc but not even getting interviews. I have a degree. What would be a good certification or some thing else i could do to improve my job prospects and get out of here?

I had originally planned to do programming as i liked this a lot more but after my 1st year of college was told i now couldnt go into the software development course. Is there a certification i could do in my spare time that would get me a programming job?

4. jvanassen

jvanassen Kilobyte Poster

Certifications: CompTIA A+, Network+, CCENT
    WIP: ICND2 200-101
  5. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Just keep on working hard and applying yourself as much as possible. Some things take time and persistence can take you a long way as well as distingushing you from the crowd.

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell