Getting experience in IT...

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by steevyp, Nov 21, 2010.

1. steevyp

steevyp Bit Poster

How can I get my foot in the door with just an A+ Certification and no experience working in the industry? What sort of jobs should I be going for?

WIP: CompTIA A+ (220-701 & 220-702)
  2. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

entry level ones. Servicedesk analyst/frontline/helpdesk - that kind of thing. You may find some IT Tech or similar roles, dealing with desktop support, but helpdesk is much more likely.

Read the descriptions, if you think you have the skills, apply. If you think you have most of the skills, also apply. If you think you have none of the skills, be more cautious about applying - if its helpdesk I would probably stick it in for the the hell of it, otherwise I would leave it alone.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  3. steevyp

steevyp Bit Poster

Will I find it easier to get a first job if I add N+ to my CV? How many hours should it take to complete N+ roughly?

4. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

N+ is a good follow on from the A+ and as for how long it takes well that depends on your current knowledge, ability to learn and time/effort put into studying. So anywhere from 1 month to 6 months I would say for the N+ (took me I think just under 3 months).

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011
  5. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Top Poster
    of the Month

A+ and N+ should give you a good foundation to get an entry level support job. You should be aiming for what my company calls 1LS. 1st Line Support, where you can pick up the basics, and in theory if you show enough initiative and potential, you progress to 2LS 3LS etc. Try the jobsites and see what they are asking of 1LS these days, jobserve, cwjobs are the main two I use. Jim

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  6. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

Perhaps, but if you want a job in IT, start looking. There is nothing stopping you from applying for jobs right at this moment in time. Having a+ and/or N+ isnt some magic key that gives you a job, its all about you. Your experience, your knowledge, your willingness - you! There are no pre-requisites for looking for an IT role, just get stuck in and look.

I had no certs when I got mine. Hell, a lot of employers simply wont know what the certs are, I know mine didnt, and I still havent met one who does. Thats not a large pool by any means, but whilst its good to demonstrate experience and knowledge with certs, its not something you need to find a career in IT.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  7. steevyp

steevyp Bit Poster

Cheers guys :respct