Getting bored of Steve F*cking Jobs

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by Fergal1982, Mar 4, 2011.

1. Simonvm

Simonvm Kilobyte Poster

Apple twisted facts and used an erroneous quotation to try to convince crowds that all other tablets had no shot at de-throning the iPad in 2011.

http://tech.fortune.cnn.com/2011/03/03/steve-jobs-reality-distortion-takes-its-toll-on-truth/

Certifications: MCITP: EST, MCDST, MCTS, A+, N+, CCNP, CCNA Wireless
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

This largely mirrors my thoughts on Apple as well.

Truth.

I never agreed with antitrust objections against MS, because MS never prevented other browsers from being installed. Personally, I think that OS manufacturers should be able to prevent or allow whatever apps they choose... and if I disagree with their policy, I can speak with my wallet by not buying their OS. So I don't think Apple should be prosecuted for antitrust issues. However, if Apple were put under the same microscope as Microsoft was, one would have to be blind to not see that what Apple is doing is far more egregious than what Microsoft did. If Windows is "closed", Apple is a locked box.

Repped.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

Stevey boy probably promised the EU commisioners office a whole skip load of the latest Apple gear and they decided not to bother with any anti-trust investigation. However, everyone knows MS are evil, so what the hell! :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  4. Beerbaron

Beerbaron Megabyte Poster

That was my point :biggrin

Certifications: BSc (Hons), MSc, ITIL v3F, MCP, MCDST, MCITP: edst7, MCTS, MCSA: Server 2003, MCSA: Windows 7, N+, NVQ IT lvl 3, MCSA Windows 7, VCP5, CCENT, CEH
    WIP: CISSP
  5. Gingerdave

Gingerdave Megabyte Poster

[AppleUser]
    But they is the bestest...
    [/AppleUser]

They are incredibly polished and BM and I have had words about them before. Either you like them or you don't. I honestly dont get the hatred that flows in both directions. I am a Mac user, I have an iPhone and got given an iPad (not complaing but I wouldnt have bought one) I love the integration and dont seem to bump up against the limits that everyone complains about. No flash on my mobile device? - Honestly couldnt give a flying fornication, I tend to lothe flash bsaed sites anyway.

As for the notes on the file format - VLC is no longer available on the app store as it was taken down at Video Lans Request. Also Opera was approved and is now available on the App Store, and there are currently 3 other browsers availble for download.

GBL, Really? hs is no where near as bad as Ricky Gervais!

SimonVM - yes ofcourse they did - its called marketing.

Certifications: A+,MCP, MCDST, VCP5 /VCP-DV 5, MCTS AD+ Net Inf 2008, MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  6. BosonMichael

I don't get the hatred, but I don't get the fanboi love, either. Apple is what it is, and in my opinion, they can do whatever they want with their OSes.

I've actually considered getting an iPad. Unfortunately, the price is what holds me back.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  7. Consultant

Consultant Bit Poster

Just a couple of points.... more fuel for the fire :)

The lock-in that everyone is referring to, only applies to the iPhone and iPad. I love my Apple laptop and desktop, simply because as a Linux/Unix fan, there's not another entity out there that can deliver Unix tools and reliability, with a polished, reliable GUI. I used to be proud of my Linux install on my laptop, except what I didn't shout about was the amount of hours I used to spend under the hood, trying to do, what is with other OS's, the simplest of things. Now I have the polish of Windows and the Power of Unix... awesome!

My (revolutionary) iPad is actually used in about 80% of the cases where my laptop used to be used. I can use it on an airplane without worrying about space, I can pull it out easily on client site and look at my reference manuals and take notes in a meeting. A few weeks ago I was a speaker at a conference, and of the three other speakers present, my presentation was the only one that didn't have a single hiccup or problem.

You currently have the ability to easily jailbreak these devices, and install whatever the heck you like, but Apple has the right (as any support organization will tell you) not to support your product if you do.

I also have an iPhone.

Apparently (according to my peers and many others that I meet) this classifies me as an Apple Fanboi. I get the need for everyone to label and compartmentalise people, but sometimes decisions are based on logic and sound business reasoning.

Say what you want about Apple and Steve Jobs, but for me, he's delivered me a set of tools that has improved the quality of my work life.

Like Gingerdave, I couldn't give two hoots about the fact that I can't see flash on my iPad. If you want to talk about lock-in let's talk about Adobe's stranglehold on the web and everyone being convinced about drinking their cool-aid as the only way to go!

Incidentally anti-trust is B.S..... How can you have a "law" based on subjective opinion, that used to be called a lynch mob many years ago, but the pitch forks and torches have been replaced by public opinion, and online jernalism (sic). Law's should only be written based on objective fact, because it's impossible to defend against someone else's opinion.

Cheers

T.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2011
    Certifications: ITIL v3 Foundation, MySQL OCA
    WIP: OCP MySQL DBA
  8. Consultant

Consultant Bit Poster

If VLC is no longer available, CineXPlayer does a similar thing and claims to support most formats including AVI

Regards

T

Certifications: ITIL v3 Foundation, MySQL OCA
    WIP: OCP MySQL DBA
  9. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

the fanboyish ness is obvious, the fact apple still exists is because of the fanboys, the dedicated folks who stuck through it when all it had was a different OS on a proprietary platform
    that 'cult' is the side that gets all fanboyish
    most of us who were never part of that cult, can have a two sided point of view, much like myself and fergal do,
    and most consumers couldnt give a rats, the speed at which i see consumers change from iphone to android and back again is insane, they are all about the trend, what their friends have, and the latest gimmick :)

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  10. BosonMichael

I was once a fanboi. Sadly, the Commodore Amiga and Commodore 64 are no longer supported. :p

11. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

Well, I've converted a couple of the AVI's using Handbrake. The quality isnt great, but it is acceptable for iPad usage. I'll keep the AVI's for on PC viewing, and leave the iPad files in a subfolder.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  12. Shinigami

Shinigami Megabyte Poster

It has always been popular to be a "hater" of successful companies or people... Can't change the human being and its nature.

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, MCDST, MOS, CIW, Comptia
    WIP: Win7/Lync2010/MCM
  13. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

iPad+ ?

Of course, I'm sure what we all mean on this public forum is that our thoughts are with Steve and his family at this difficult time, and that we wish him a speedy recovery from bum cancer - or whatever he's got.

:(

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  14. Gav

Gav Kilobyte Poster

I thought .avi was a container file that could contain any number of codecs, in the same way .mkv is.

Very few devices other than a PCI can play any avi file.

I'm not surprised that an i device is restrictive in terms of playback, I'm just saying, .avi isn't a format itself :D

15. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Top Poster
    of the Month

Ditto, I don't think I've been so into a computer before or since

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  16. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Top Poster
    of the Month

Yep I'm pretty sure its a container. I've seen things work by renaming *.avi to *.mp4, someone give it a whirl.... seriously

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  17. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

that would only work if it was an mp4 file inside the avi container

Fergal, personally i rip stuff direct from source to high bitrate mkv/mk4 file these days
    they look equally as good through my apple TV onto my 52" TV as they do on the ipad, very few artifacts etc
    converting already encoded/compressed video AGAIN is likely the problem you are having with handbrake
    do you have the uncompressed source?

18. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

I had originally run it through handbrake using the output from DVD Decrypter, which is when I was getting the missing lines. I could try running it through from that again, using the high profile setting, see how that gets on.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  19. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

yeah i always just use high profile
    i used to tweak one of the settings in advanced too, but i think they changed that

i dont encode seperate versions for ipad and tv and stuff, high profile just works, although i could optimize storage and screen real estate a bit on the ipad if i did
    but not enough to make managing multiple copies of everything worth it :0