Getting back into programming

Discussion in 'Scripting & Programming' started by Patch230, Jun 22, 2009.

1. Patch230

Patch230 Nibble Poster

Hi !

Well as the title suggests, Im thinking of getting back into programming towards then end of the year (once i finish off certain certificates)

I'm also looking at getting more into Linux. I've recently installed Ubuntu on a pc and I'm getting along with it fine. Anyway back to the task in question, My Html is pretty good and wont take me long to brush up on that but someone pointed me in the direction of "python" before i delve into C++ etc (It's been some years since i last did any programming and that was on the Commodore Amiga !)

Any comments or pointers would be apreciated

Certifications: MCDST MCSA
  2. Mathematix

Mathematix Megabyte Poster

Yes, don't touch C++ yet. Seeing as you have familiarity with Amiga programming I'd look at BASIC (VB) again. Failing that, do some Python.

Certifications: BSc(Hons) Comp Sci, BCS Award of Merit
    WIP: Not doing certs. Computer geek.
  3. Patch230

Patch230 Nibble Poster

Thanks for the advice

I'm pretty competent with various forms of basic, dating back to the Amstrad cpc - didnt mention that before because I've always been lead to belive basic leads to bad programming habits. Hence I'll have a look at Python

Certifications: MCDST MCSA
  4. Mathematix

Mathematix Megabyte Poster

In reality any language can lead to bad programming practices. I've personally found that what leads to bad practices is a lack of understanding of programming language theory that isn't taught very much nowadays, if at all. If you can get your head around that you will see your programming skills improve significantly, because you understand what is going on under the hood.

Good luck! :)

Certifications: BSc(Hons) Comp Sci, BCS Award of Merit
    WIP: Not doing certs. Computer geek.