Getting a new job

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by david_mcg, Dec 13, 2014.

1. david_mcg

david_mcg Bit Poster

I've been out of work for about 18 months now I guess and travelling a lot so till now my focus has been on enjoying things but just returned to the UK and wondering what the market is like here for IT support jobs. My last role I was doing Datacentre support and desktop support at the last stage of desktop support before getting on with server stuff really.

I decided to study for my N+ as I finally have some free time given my last job was long long days work and didn't give time for study. After that in January I start at Leeds Network academy for my CCNA and doing my MCSA there as well in 3 one-week courses.

Installing and Configuring Windows Server 2012 (20410B)
    Administering Windows Server 2012 (20411B)
    Configuring Advanced Windows Server 2012 Services (20412B)

These are the 3 courses they offer so wondering other MSCE or experienced professionals can tell me if its worth doing these 3 or trying others. I am using my redundancy money for the courses to help me move back into a job by April and hopefully into a server/network role. Just wondering if people can suggest ways to move up into Network roles/server support roles from desktop support. The way I am thinking at the moment is get a role with a good company doing 2nd line work and hope an opening comes up once I have proved myself there.

Also wondering how to get back upto speed with AD and exchange. I thought about setting up a micro server at home to play with but wondered how much that would cost and how useful it would be going forward so would love to hear if anyone has experience doing this.

Certifications: A+
    WIP: N+, MVA 79
  2. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Redundancy money is there to get you out of a tight spot, spending a lot on professional courses is probably not wise.

I'd do a CCNA course at nightschool and MCSA can be had self study for £200.

Sparky likes this.
  3. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Agree - as you have the time and are not starting from scratch don't blow all the redundancy cash on expensive training just now.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  4. david_mcg

david_mcg Bit Poster

Oh ok cool...how can MCSA be down for that price. I'm looking at setting up a setup at home to get started with the server stuff. Has anyone does this to learn stuff like AD etc and how much did it cost you?

5. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Get hold of Virtual Box and you can use your main PC to act as a virtual server and two virtual clients on a virtual network.
    Alternatively you could look into VmWare Workstation, but it costs £175.
    This allows you to complete 80% of the MCSA with minimal outlay.
    The microsoft software can be 30 day evaluations.
    All that leaves is the exams, at about £90 each, sometimes there are offers, right now its fullprice, so three exams £270.

I'd buy a set of MCSA study guides off amazon, these can range from £45 to £70 for the three exams.

So more realistic cost today in UK is around £320 to self study for MCSA.

If you're confident you know your stuff you can save money by taking beta exams, these tend to be free or significant discount. Microsoft are running betas at the moment.

Most commercial courses do not include exam or software license costs so you'd need to spend this anyway.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2014
    david_mcg likes this.
  6. aushus

aushus Kilobyte Poster

keep job hunting and applying and use your free time for study,

keep at it one day you will get your dream role.

7. david_mcg

david_mcg Bit Poster

ive seen on here before that people have reviewed CVs and given feedback. Do I just post it in this thread, pm or email?

8. SimonV
    Honorary Member

SimonV Petabyte Poster Gold Member

It would be better to start a new thread David for a another topic of discussion.

Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...