Getting a .net developer job from scratch

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by garyjos, Apr 29, 2010.

1. garyjos

garyjos New Member

Hello

I have just been made redundant and would like to get into "IT" as a c# and sql developer
    Is it really possible to get into this field after I have completed an MCPD along with 3 month's of live project work?

(I am going to look at other material from other books as well and am serious about trying to get a job in this line of work)

Thanks
    Gary

2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

If you've already done 3 months of live project work, aren't you already IN IT? :blink

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. garyjos

garyjos New Member

No, the training course would include live project work for 3 month's via online training
    In other words would 3 month's of live project work enable me to get a real job along side the MCPD
    At the end of the day would this work, if not surely the only other way would be to self study and make in depth projects to use in a portfolio to show employers?

Last edited: Apr 29, 2010
  4. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

Then thats not 'live project work', is it? Is the development you are involved in being actively used by a client? If it is, then why are you doing it for 'free' (actually, arent you paying for the privilege?). If its not, then theres nothing Live about it.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  5. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Well, if you're completely new to this then I'd be very surprised if you could complete the MCPD with only 3 month's experience. There's an awful lot to cover, and it 'aint easy.

Holding the MCPD isn't an open invitation to a job. Sure, it's handy to have on your CV if an employer says you need to have one, but what they're going to be looking for is your experience. As you haven't got any, you're going to have to start at the bottom.

Beware of focusing on getting the MCPD certification. If you try to use the requirements as a curriculum, then you'll learn just enough to scrape through the exam (maybe) and will end up having a range of knowledge that isn't really of any practical use to anybody. As we've said many times before, certification isn't about learning new skills, it's about validating what you can do.

You're better of focusing on one thing and concentrating on getting good at it. Do a course that teaches you C# or learn how to administer a database. That way you can say to an employer 'yes, I can program in C#' which means hell of a lot than 'yes, I've got an MCPD'.

You can do your MCPD later when you've got some experience behind you.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  6. garyjos

garyjos New Member

The course I am looking at gives you a C# MCPD & MCITP (Database Administrator) with 3 month's live project work, if you want to work as an actual developer do you need to do the MCITP (Database Administrator) part?

7. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

If you want to work as an actual developer, you have to get a job as an actual developer.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  8. garyjos

garyjos New Member

So I need both parts right?

9. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

No you are not listening, you don't need certification, not MCPD and not MCITP (DBA), you need talent, skills, and experience.

You should ensure you have talent, develop your skills and then apply for entry level development jobs, these are generally called 'junior developer' roles but I've seen all sorts of titles and job descriptions, sometimes data entry / transformation jobs can provide a way into database and developer work.

Whoever told you you need a 3 month course and certifications is wrong, there are people out there with 3+ years tuition from university, some with placement years, many of them also struggle to land entry level jobs. Its unlikely 3 months distance learning will cut it, you will also probably pay over the odds.

Last edited: May 4, 2010