Getting a job- No experience!

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by pj, Nov 21, 2006.

1. pj

pj Bit Poster

Guys whats your thoughts on getting a job in the IT world with little or no experience but havin certs. If i have say A+ and n+ what jobs should I be looking at?
    Cheers

Certifications: A+
    WIP: N+ CCNA
  2. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

With no experience it will be very difficult - but not as hard as not having the certs either. :biggrin

It will very much depend on where you are, but my advice is to talk to small systems builders in your area - they will be more flexible than big companies over this.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  3. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Also apply for helpdesk jobs, I noticed you live in Glasgow so you have Dell on your doorstep and also IBM if you fancy a wee drive to work each day.

Generally training is given for this type of job and if you have some technical knowledge and a good phone manner then you should be in with a shout. :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  4. Weemez

Weemez Kilobyte Poster

I know its not possible for everyone considering their circumstances but if you could manage a couple of days a month doing volunteer work it is a great way to get experience and can get you a foot in the door.

I know it worked for me.

Certifications: HNC Computing A+ N+ ICND1
    WIP: ICND2
  5. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Amen to that.

Apart from the obvious drawback (the lack of pay!) voluntary work can open a hell of a lot of opportunities up for you. I worked for a charity on a placement a couple of years back whilst I was studying for my MCSE and I'm sure it helped me out immensely when i started applying for jobs a couple of months later.

Also, if you're not averse to driving around a lot, there can be some good opportunities for field service techs - especially with smaller companies in your area. Try looking through the Yellow Pages for smallish consultancies and ring them up, telling them you're starting out in IT and are looking for a trainee type position. They may well look at you on a 'see if you fit in' type basis - especially if, as often happens, they have a high turnover of staff moving on to other roles (this is a notorious problem for small service companies)

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em