Get your Free iSCSI SAN Virtual Appliance Now

Discussion in 'Virtual and Cloud Computing' started by Kitkatninja, Apr 15, 2009.

1. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Get your Free iSCSI SAN Virtual Appliance Now

Register to download your free iSCSI SAN Virtual Appliance and start benefiting from storage virtualization. The FalconStor NSS Virtual Appliance is a pre-built, pre-configured, and ready-to-run software application packaged with an operating system in a virtual machine for the SMB and ROBO. It is additionally easy to deploy and represents an ideal solution for lab, and testing and development environments.

Thought that this would be of some help to those wanting to learn about iSCSI SANs. Downside is that you have to register for the appliance :( Good thing is that you'll be able to play around with it :)

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  2. ianconscious

ianconscious Bit Poster

Nice one Ken - that's going to prove a very useful addition to my "SANDBOX" virtualised Domain.

Rep given.

Certifications: MCSE; MCITP; CCA, etc.
    WIP: JNCIS-FWV
  3. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Alternatively, use Xtravirt's Virtual SAN - which is by far the easiest and most stable SAN VM I've ever used.

Incidentally, if anyone's interested, NetApp also have an .iso that you can use to build a simulator for OnTap which has all the features of a 'real' NetApp box. Its only officially available to NetApp customers but has been made available in the past by one of NetApp's bloggers so is probably OK for use in the public domain. Similarly, if you hunt around you can find a simulator for EMC's Celerra appliances that are fully-functional too. Now if only Dell would do something with an EqualLogic VM so that people could see how simple they are to use, I'm sure they'd increase their footprint in the iSCSI SAN marketplace... sigh.

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  4. ThomasMc

ThomasMc Gigabyte Poster

I've got my stupid hat on today but whats the point in virtualizing your iSCSI SAN? Is it for testing? sorry for the stupid question :D

Certifications: MCDST|FtOCC
    WIP: MCSA(70-270|70-290|70-291)
  5. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Yep, for testing :)

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  6. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

I've recently started playing with OpenFiler. It seems pretty straight forward nothing too crazy but then again it is also open source free. Ken, thanks for the link though!

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  7. ThomasMc

ThomasMc Gigabyte Poster

I'm 250 notes away from my lab got 2 ml115 so far and need 1 more for openfiler(iSCSI) thanks to Zeb for giving me the idea grrr lol

8. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

No worries - you won't regret it! Of course, sadly for you you'll really need FOUR ML115s to get the best out of your test setup (three ESX hosts plus a box for OpenFiler) otherwise you won't really be able to play with the coolest parts of HA - but you can get away with having two hosts to begin with. Just bear in mind that you also need a DB server and a box to install VirtualCenter on - though these can be installed as VMs on a sutiably well-specced workstation. You could even install VirtualCenter as a VM!

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  9. ThomasMc

ThomasMc Gigabyte Poster

Thanks Zeb :D so I'm £450 away from my lab now lol