Get with the times?

Discussion in 'A+' started by Martindoidge, Jan 8, 2014.

1. Martindoidge

Martindoidge New Member

Hi everyone, I've been reading up on A+ as a beginner hoping to certify but the material I've been reading seems to have been gradually revised and added to over the years and I'm wondering if all of the sections on defunct technologies, unused memory types, out of production sockets, parity memory, etc that I've read about so far will be relevant when I come to take the exams? I know a lot of companies I could come to work with would not be on the most technologically current systems but am I likely to be tested on up to 20 year old PC technologies or should I be focusing my priorities more fully on the current information?

Thanks very much, look forward to your information :)

WIP: CompTIA A+
  2. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

You never know what kind of hardware you will find out there, I know companies that have had very old hardware present because it was running critical software and they didn't want to update it.

It can be there and if it's in any modern book based on the current exam criteria I would keep it in mind.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  3. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

What makes you think parity memory is outdated ?

4. Martindoidge

Martindoidge New Member

Just the fact that the book I've got said it doesn't get used anymore. Either way with that at least I spent so much time unpicking what the book said because I'd never come across anything like it that I don't think I'd ever forget it now...

WIP: CompTIA A+
  5. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

This.

My current client list includes 2x Win 2000 servers (due to be retired this year) and an NT 4 server effectively kept running by judicious use of duct tape and hope...

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, ACA – Mac Integration 10.10
    Trogdor likes this.