General Tab in the Pinter properties.

Discussion in 'A+' started by co.ador, Feb 10, 2011.

1. co.ador

co.ador Bit Poster

so one of the uses of logical printer is to set up priority in time for the printing jobs? if jim's printer is set to print before anyother clients then it will print the jim's print job before any other even when another client havce request before jims?

2. co.ador

co.ador Bit Poster

Have to say that hierarchy in the human interaction in the officed is reflected even in the computer systems, where the Boss still gets the best benefits.

3. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

yep the admin can set printer prioties so the boss could have a priority of 99 whilst the normal work may have a priorty of 5 so if everyone presses print at the same time the boss gets his first and most likely the normal worker gets his last.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  4. co.ador

co.ador Bit Poster

the share this printer check mark in the Sharing tab will share the printer for the whole network of 5- 15 computers? meaning the printer will be available to all the clients? right? well

5. greenbrucelee

yes but you have to also assign the printers to the groups or users that can use it too. So for instance you can share the printer give the printer a share name then say the boss and the wages dept can use this but no one else can. The you can say well the boss can print to it but he can't delete any print jobs but he can move his jobs up the queue.

6. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Printers should be configured with a *static IP address* :rolleyes:

You set it up as a local printer if the printer device is attached to the computer via USB or LTP1 type connections. Then it is a local printer to that single computer. Once shared, then it becomes a network printer to people that are able to print to it from other workstations.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  7. co.ador

co.ador Bit Poster

so once you share it, it becomes a network printer where other people can print. Where do you set the permissions? as of who is going to print in jims office printer or even in the network printer. The static ip address will be set up in the server, or in one of the local computer clients? where is everything set up is there like a server machine where admin can control all this permissions, other devices configuration or other share devices like storages devices or a hard drive where all the clients in the network can store information or control the printer device and set up the permission from that point or mother computer?

is there like a mother computer or server where admin control everything or the permission are set in each individual computer in the network?

8. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

The printer has a static IP address and in many cases the printer is installed on a print server (IP based printing) and shared from there. In some cases the printer may be given a reservation from the DHCP scope but this is a separate topic.

If you add a printer in a domain environment all of the printers will be listed and you can pick which printer is needed regardless of which print server the printer is shared from. This is assuming default permissions are setup.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  9. co.ador

co.ador Bit Poster

" domain environment " ? what do you mean a printer which people can access from the internet? by permission of the admin?

10. greenbrucelee

a domain = a lot of computers connected together that uses a centalized server i.e a network.

I thought you were studying the A+ a lot of what you are asking is beyond the A+. Although still good to know.

11. greenbrucelee

My bad

12. co.ador

co.ador Bit Poster

Thank you for the domain knowledge, domain not necessarily has to be connected to the internet can work a network itself.

Yes I am studying for A+ but in the book I am studying for it makes a emphasis on the this tabs within the printer property. and you guys are sharing great knowledge.

Again the static Ip address would be in the centralized server? or all of the computer in the network are going to use that static ip address to guide themselve as where to send the data?

13. greenbrucelee

setting a static ip to a printer doesn't change the IP addresses of the computers. it just means that the printer has a fixed ip address. Whereas with a computer its IP address changes every time the lease expires.

14. co.ador

co.ador Bit Poster

so the static ip address would be used to as an address for each computer = home address. so each computer in the network addresses that static ip address or home addresses?`

15. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Every device on a TCP/IP network has an IP address, much like the address of a house, it uniquely identifies that device, as say the address of the printer or server or workstation PC etc.

General workstations can have dynamic IP addresses, which means they may change from time to time but as they are not hosting any resources *shared folders* etc their address can change without issues.

Devices that people need access to on the network, like file servers, domain controllers and printers, should have a static address that never changes. (or a reserved IP address in DHCP as Sparky correctly pointed out).

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  16. co.ador

co.ador Bit Poster

I didin't see you mention Client PC divices having static IP in a tcp/IP network, I am going to asume client pc or in other words all computer in a network will have a static ip so users can easily identify who to address.

you have mention

17. Simonvm

Simonvm Kilobyte Poster

No, computers get a dynamic IP.

If users -and they usually don't- need to address another PC, they can just use the hostname which is resolved by DNS/WINS.

Certifications: MCITP: EST, MCDST, MCTS, A+, N+, CCNP, CCNA Wireless
  18. greenbrucelee

Printers urse a static ip whilst the computers us a dynamic ip which is renewed every so often. do an ipconfig /all on your pc note down the info then do it again a day later and see whdt changes. i must say that most of this is well beyond the a+ exams you just need to know how a printer works and its basic setup although still good to know

19. greenbrucelee

Sorry about the smiley cf doesnt work that well on my phone i must have pressed it by accident

20. co.ador

co.ador Bit Poster

I was asking all this configuration stuff becuase I was planning to take the 702 test which is installation and configuration only. Correct me if I am wrong. in the book 'I am reading make a suggestion on knowing all the tabs within the properties option under printer in control panel. Correct me if it would be useless for the 702 exam.

I want I am in the port tab I was wondering if the differnt port like lpt1 2 3 and so forth and COM1 2 3 AND SO FORTH are assigned to different connectors in the computer? because if I remember the printer I have righht now I just connect it to USB and it prints.