General questions...

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by steph746, Nov 16, 2012.

1. steph746

steph746 Bit Poster

Hello. I just joined and this is my first post to the forum. Here's my situation. I am currently looking for work in the Desktop support area. I'm currently in between jobs and have about 9 years of Desktop/Application support experience. I of course don't want to be in this area forever, but this is where my skills currently lie and I'm trying to back up my work experience with certifications.

I just passed the ITIL v3 Foundation exam and I'm looking for my next certification. Would MCTS make sense since that's the area I have been working in?

A long time ago I completed an MCP, but that is far outdated, so I pulled it off my resume. I'm looking forward to getting new certs on there.

In addition to MCTS, I've been considering A+, Network +, Security +. In general, what do you think of getting these CompTia certs vs. Microsoft?

There seem to be so many options out there that I find it a bit overwhelming.

Thanks very much in advance.

2. ade1982

ade1982 Megabyte Poster

If you work with WIndows 7, the 70-680 and 70-685 (or 70-686) would get you the Windows 7 MCITP (and the new MCSA Windows 7)

3. steph746

steph746 Bit Poster

Thanks for your reply.

So, you think the best way for me to proceed would be the MCITP? You would think this makes more sense at this time over one of the CompTIA certs?

What's the difference between MCITP, MCTS and MCSA?

4. ade1982

ade1982 Megabyte Poster

If you have about 9 years of experience, then skip the Comptia. Comptia certs tend to be very worthwhile for beginners and to get into IT, but with 9 years I'd expect for it to be a formality.

You do the 70-680 to get the MCTS, you then get the MCITP when you get the 685.

The MCSA (and that's the new style one, not the Systems Admin) is what is effectively replacing the MCITP from next year.

5. steph746

steph746 Bit Poster

I understand, thanks. So, basically after one exam you get an MCTS certification? For 70-680 I have a sybex study guide. Would you say this in conjunction with some practice exams are good for preparation?

I don't really have a home network to play around on. I have a PC and a Mac laptop...