general progression steps in IT questions

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by asoe209, Sep 2, 2010.

1. asoe209

asoe209 Nibble Poster

I just wanted to ask what is the difference in 1st, 2nd and 3rd line support?

And does service desk come under 1st line support?

and when moving up the ranks you start in in service desk or entry level, but where do you move on to from there.

In time I would like to work on networks i know this would be way down the line but getting to that is quite fuzzy. I also had visions of staring some thing for myself, a long the lines of PC repair as there is a lack of it in my area i fell it could work.

Can any one shed some light on these.

Certifications: City & Guilds level PC repar 1 & 2
    WIP: Comptia A+
  2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

First line is usually just basic support in terms of advising someone what to do something when they have a problem, second line is usually more indepth i.e dealing with more complex problems and third line is usually the people who fix the problem or have the solutions when no one else does.

As for progression if your in second or third line you should be getting some decent exposure to stuff (including networks) so its a case of either hoping you get noticed by your boss and progressing or asking if there are any opportunities available as you would like to go into that area.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. asoe209

asoe209 Nibble Poster

Another silly one to add, but IT job titles there seem to be so many of them but being new to IT how would you tell what you want to work up to.

Would you say its more of a case of getting into the field 1st the just working it out from there?

4. greenbrucelee

Well if you want to get into networking you would either want to be an IT technician who does a bit of everything within a company or once you have experience look for network admin and system engineer jobs.

You dont have to start on 1st line support you know, you could be a field service tech which is very similar to an IT tech role but normally involves travelling and such things.

5. asoe209

asoe209 Nibble Poster

6. greenbrucelee

look on job sites for entry level technician or trainee/junior.

Some maye require you to have a bit of experience and more than A+,N+ and MCDST maybe HND/degree but I have seen some advertised as trainee where all you need is enthusiasm.

7. asoe209

asoe209 Nibble Poster

humm....... I think that will just be a lot of luck then as any thing i have seen in the past has been degree level which i dont have. I will only really be looking for stuff with A+ and just keep them fingers crossed. Im pushing my luck i think trying to find some thing with just the city and guilds :biggrin

8. greenbrucelee

I got my 2 par time IT jobs after passing my A+ but I did have NVQs a GNVQ and a HND too.

I think you may find it it hard to find a job just asking for city & guilds but you never know.

How about just sending your cv and letter to lots of places where you live, it can happen.

9. asoe209

asoe209 Nibble Poster

Yeah that is an option you never know I'll still have to work on my cv but for now I'll just get stuck in on doi g my A+ goths end of the year. Thanks for all the replies they have been very helpful.