General advice on career choice.

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by Rupert-Pupkin, Jul 5, 2006.

1. Rupert-Pupkin

Rupert-Pupkin New Member

Hi, just joined this forum after stumbling across it on a google search. Over the last few months I have been wondering what career to choose (I am 22) after a few failed attempts at uni and general office work. I have always loved computers and potching about with the inside or certain software, but after some bad career advice never followed it up until now.

Basically I want to be some sort of technician or networker, working on general computers or servers maybe for a large company or freelance. But other than that I have no idea where to go next. I have basic computer qualifications (GCSE IT and A-level computer programming which I have forgotten :blink ). I have also had an interview with a computeach salesman, but after reading a few places, here included, I dont think its as good an idea as the salesman says.

So basically I would like any information I can get on where to go next, or any advice in general. Money is a little short, so I have been looking into training myself and the CompTia?? qualifications have caught my eye. I have been told that BT offer good careers in IT serivce technicians if you have basic Cisco training, but I cannot find anywhere in my area that offer that course. I think thats pretty much all I can think to ask at the moment, and thanks in advance for any advice given.

Oh btw, I have tried to find the advice on this forum,but all these terms and words are new to me, and I have no idea what alot of it means!

2. Nelix
    Honorary Member

Nelix Gigabyte Poster

First off.....Welcome to CertForums, Glad you found us

Secondly, Most people on here would agree that in the first instance the CompTIA A+ and then maybe the Network+ courses will set you up with the qualifications and information to help you decide which way to go. Do be aware however that IT is a constant learning experience and lots of hardwork and perseverance are required, It sounds like i'm trying to put you off but 'm not, I just would not like to think that you spend alot of money without knowing what you are getting yourself into.

I'm sure others will be along with additional advice for you soon.

:D

Derek

[EDIT:] Need to use the spell checker more :oops:

Certifications: A+, 70-210, 70-290, 70-291, 74-409, 70-410, 70-411, 70-337, 70-347
    WIP: 70-346
  3. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

4. Rupert-Pupkin

Rupert-Pupkin New Member

Cheers for the inital advice guys, will look at them links. I have found a local college that offers the A+ course, so kind of thinking it may be better to do that than a self study because of my relative inexperience. Also as I am not working at the moment, I may be able to join for a smaller fee than what Computeach asked for their course!

5. Sandy

Sandy Ex-Member

You might find the Open University offer some good courses if you are interested in doing a Degree in the subject and yes I am a student.

6. Rupert-Pupkin

Rupert-Pupkin New Member

So what is the difference in the Comptia courses and the Cisco courses, the equipment you train on different or? How respected is the Cisco course? Also where would be a good idea to start looking for companies to see the type of vacancies on offer? Is monster reputable? How about the freelance work, does anyone actually do that, is it viable as a career choice? Again, many thanks for all the information.

Oh and the open university is not a viable option to me, becuase I cannot afford the huge fees they charge.

7. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

I see the Comptia courses as a foundation and the Cisco courses build on that foundation, even though I'm skipping Comptia and going straight for a Cisco course.

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  8. Rupert-Pupkin

Rupert-Pupkin New Member

I think what I am struggling most with is what type of jobs I can get with the various qualifications. Other than knowing that I like to potch about with computers, I know next to nothing about the industry and what each job title actually equates to. How much/long is your Cisco course mate, and if you dont mind me asking, what type of IT job are you looking to start when you graduate.

9. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Some simple advice for you if you aren't sure where you want to go in your career:

Start with the A+, it will provide you with the fundamentals and basic skills and knowledge that anyone in IT should have. After completing the A+ you can start to make some decisions as to what you like and where you would like to go.

The job market doesn't always reflect on what certifications or qualifications you have, so length of course, what course, what certs are all less important than the ability to successfully do the job.

For what common job titles are, and what they do you might want to take a look here.

8)

10. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

It's a 9 month course condensed into 6 months with The Open University and costs £545. I am hoping to do IT support, networking is my favourite thing at the moment.

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009