general 70-640 questions from newbie

Discussion in 'Active Directory Exams' started by hexamine, Jul 18, 2011.

1. hexamine

hexamine New Member

Hi Folks,

Im already an MCP and have a Cisco ICND1 but I would like to update my skills.

I am considering this exam as a starter towards the full MCITP.

However, i notive that one of the exam pre-requisites is 1 year using server 2008 AD at work.

Is this absolutely nessesary to pass the exam? If so how is that validated?

Also, how long do u think I might need to study and prepare for the exam, I have a lot of spare time and preped for my cisco in 3 months ( that was mega hard IMO )

Thanks for any advise you could offer a newbie

Good luck to everyone
    H

2. Apexes

Apexes Gigabyte Poster

It's not essential, but it's recommended because AD is a big old system, and for a novice to learn it does require experience.

Saying that, not just AD, but the rest of the exams in the MCITP (depending on which sub catergory of MCITP you choose) will require alot of experience in a domain enviornment.

How long is entirely down to you, and how you study, how good you are at taking in information.

From the mention of the 70-640 i guess you're going down the route of Server Administrator, or Enterprise Administrator?

If so, give yourself a good 6 months to get confident with the practices, setup a virtual enviornment where you can practise what you learn, and go from there.

Be aware - if you're looking to get a role as a server admin off the back of this qualification, it may not be so easy - alot of places want the experience in that enviornment to backup the cert.

All the best

Certifications: 70-243 MCTS: ConfigMgr 2012 | MCSE: Private Cloud
  3. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

It's a recommendation. They are saying that if you have worked in that environment for that period then you should have an awareness of the subjects covered in the exam. You won't have covered everything obviously so you will need to study too.

It isn't checked or validated in any way - but they are just saying that if you don't work in a 2008 environment then this cert may not be relevant to you.

The rule of thumb used to be around 100 hrs study per exam, but obviously that depends on how much experience you already have.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  4. hexamine

hexamine New Member

Thanks for your post.i haver some AD experience off course but not with server 2008.

As for the getting server adminwork without experience, dont I know it,its the chicken and the egg scenario.

Finding contract IT work is becoming a nightmare for me and these recruitment companies are seriously trying my patience.

Im quite motivated when I get studying but there are so many reasons just to not even bother starting,lol.

I have 10 years in IT mostly desktop and 2nd line, the next natural step would be Server Admin but like you say its not easy trying to get a break.

any tips for me trying to make the step over?

What about you? are you server admin?

Thanks a lot

H

5. Apexes

Apexes Gigabyte Poster

Are you working within IT at the moment still? If so, just ask to take a look at the companies infrastructure and say your keen to move onto different things, i'm sure they won't mind showing you basics.

I was working as a server administrator (Basic stuff within 2008 as i was training on server 2008 r2) - but i've actually moved onto SCCM infrastructure instead now, so i work part of a small team looking after around 80 SCCM servers globally, and dealing with software automation. I got this by chance, was asked to be part of the team, so i'm currently working in a live enviornment, and receiving training with it also.

Certifications: 70-243 MCTS: ConfigMgr 2012 | MCSE: Private Cloud
  6. hexamine

hexamine New Member

Im working in a small non-enterprise scale place. I need to get out into a bigger environment but in the current market and with 5000 recruitment companies out there wasting everyones time its not easy. lol

Sounds like you are in a good position, if you put the study and effort in you will learn loads. Good luck.