Geek Squad

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by J.Hinds, Jan 3, 2011.

1. J.Hinds

J.Hinds Nibble Poster

Does anyone know anything about these guys? I have an interview with them on friday and I'm not sure whether getting this position would help me to progress my career, or whether it's just a dressed up retail role. The title of it is 'counter intelligence agent' which really doesn't help to understand what I will be required to do..

Also have another interview coming up next week, so any advice how to prepare? What sort of questions are usually asked at an entry level interview?

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCTS (Win 7)
    WIP: MCSA (Server)
  2. ChrisH1979

ChrisH1979 Byte Poster

Sounds to me like you are giving advice over the counter for that Geek squad job.

Certifications: MCITP:SA, MCSA, MCTS:Win 7, Application Infrastructure
    WIP: MCITP:EA
  3. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

They are the same as the tech guys at pc world.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  4. Mariusz

Mariusz Byte Poster

I applied for it some time ago as well, it was part time, and according to description it was IT Technician role mixed with sales assistant, at least that's how I understood it.
    In my town there is Carphone Warehouse, and they sell mostly phones (and about 3 netbooks :-))

Certifications: ECDL Extra, ITQ Lvl2, CompTIA A+, N+, S+
    WIP: MCTS 70-680 Win7
  5. westernkings

westernkings Gigabyte Poster

Cringe.

Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3
  6. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

While the job title makes me shake my head, like the question on their career part of their site ("Want to become a Geek Squad Agent?"). Whether or not this job will help progress your career is going to be dependant on what you're doing now, where you see yourself in the future and what you'll actually be doing there.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  7. BosonJosh

BosonJosh Gigabyte Poster

If the role gives you some hands-on troubleshooting tasks and isn't just a counter sales assistant role, it could help you gain some "professional" hands-on IT experience. I've heard some people claim that it won't really help you get a role in corporate IT because it's a "retail" job, but I tend to disagree with that. If I'm looking for an entry-level help desk person, I'd be more inclined to hire someone who has some experience with being paid to troubleshoot than someone who doesn't have any experience.

EDIT: I'll echo what Ken said, too. Whether it will help you is entirely dependent on what you're after with your career.

8. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

That's right (re BosonJosh)

Besides, not all IT jobs are corporate IT :)

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  9. J.Hinds

J.Hinds Nibble Poster

Thanks for the feedack people. What I think I shall do is interview them while they're interviewing me and try to figure out whether it will help me at the same time. If it's not for me atleast I will gain a better understanding of what I do want. With any luck maybe it will be more technical than sales... maybe!

10. L1ONE

L1ONE Bit Poster

Last edited: Jan 3, 2011
    Certifications: CompTIA A+, MCDST, MCP
    WIP: N+ maybe.
  11. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

Yes, try here and here.

And "Counter Intelligence Agent" sounds more that you will be countering all intelligence... So probably a spot on assessment if PC world here is anything to go by.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  12. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

The sales part is probably pushing upgrades when people bring things in for repair. Sounds like there's plenty hands-on work, plus you can sharpen your customer service skills when you have to explain to customers why their in-warranty repair is still at the manufacturers workshop and no, you have no idea when it will be ready. :twisted:

If you don't already have a job in IT then I'd give it a try. It'll look good on your CV for entry-level jobs and there is a steep learning curve so you won't get bored for a few months at least.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2011
    Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job
  13. coolc

coolc Nibble Poster

bro just go for any role that you can that will give you go experience, also do certs cause u love learning not cause it is in demand.

14. karan1337

karan1337 Byte Poster

Hmm. geek squad, fancy name.

Certifications: MCP, MCDST, MCTS, Brainbench: XP and Vista [Master]
    WIP: Bachelors:Computer Science
  15. Apoc220

Apoc220 Byte Poster

Hey,

Like the others have said, any experience you can get nowadays is good. I looked into geek squad when I was job hunting back in '09 and came across some people who had bad experiences. Granted, it's worth a grain of salt since mileage might vary, but because it's in a best buy they have a reputation of pushing the reps to meet sales quotas and push services and equipment on the customers. So yes, you will get experience in handling technical issues, but depending on the management they might expect you to be a salesman in a certain capacity. You won't know until you actually start the position what it's like, but I know that it was part of the reason why I didn't consider it when I was searching. I do wish you luck and say that try and get the most out of any experience... there's always something to learn from the good and the bad.

Certifications: MCDST
    WIP: 70-680
  16. J.Hinds

J.Hinds Nibble Poster

Update: I went to the assessment on friday and then had an interview afterwards, unfortunately I just got pipped at the post by someone with a little more experience. So not brilliant, however I did really enjoy the day and being surrounded by other techs made me feel alot more comfortable in my own skin. I definitely need to break into this industry asap!

17. Apoc220

Apoc220 Byte Poster

Sorry about that, buddy. At least you got some experience with the interview process and it will hopefully help you in the next time around! Keep at it. If you are determined you will be able to get your foot in the door. The trick is to persevere!

Certifications: MCDST
    WIP: 70-680
  18. j1mgg

j1mgg Kilobyte Poster

j.hinds can you share your expierence of the day/interview and tell us if you found out anymore about the job roll so future members can see this?

Onto the next interview aswell, 2nd best aint bad.

Certifications: Comptia A+, ITIL V3 Foundation, MCDST, 70-270, 70-290
    WIP: 70-291, security+ and SSCP
  19. The_Geek

The_Geek Megabyte Poster

I was goofing off one day and decided to fill out their online application and assessment guide. I did it as dishonestly as I possibly could, from a role of "screw the customer and squeeze as much $$$ out of them as possible". Within FIFTEEN minutes of completing the online process I had a phone call wanting me to come in for an interview.

I'm definitely not better than anyone else, but I now laugh at the white shirts and black ties.

If you think this will advance you career, I say go for it.

Certifications: CompTIA and Micro$oft
    WIP: PDI+
  20. J.Hinds

J.Hinds Nibble Poster

Yeah sure I don't see why not. The assessment started at 10am, it was meant to be 9:30 but unfortunately they were not ready in time. Myself and the rest of the group of shortlisted candidates entered what I can only describe as Lord Sugars board room, there we were introduced to 3 employees of the geek squad all know as agents 8)

After we all did short introductions, we watched a couple of videos about the geek sqaud and its history and then we then began a series of 4 tasks. The first one being a group exercise to create an advert I believe to show creativity, how we approached a problem, teamworking, leadership, communication .etc

The second thing we was required to do was a written test, pretty basic stuff really (Basic hardware and troublshooting mainly) e.g what's the difference between a static and dynamic IP address?

Following this we were given a laptop each with preset problems which we had to figure out, fix and document.

Finally those who performed well in the previous tasks (4 of us) were given an interview which lasted about 45 minutes. During the actual interview itself they tried to figure out a little bit more about each of the candidates by asking some pre-written competancy questions.

This event lasted all day from 09:30 until approximately 16:00. So as you may have already guessed there was quite abit of sitting around waiting for things to happen, in which time we talked amoungst ourself about the IT inustry and many things relating to it.. This forum being one of those topics! :)

All in all a pretty fun filled day, lunch was provided and many lessons were learnt.