Gday!

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by maccaman, Feb 19, 2009.

1. maccaman

maccaman Bit Poster

Hi all

I am an Australian expat who now lives in Edinburgh and I am looking to carve out a career out in IT.

I'm interested in getting some 1st line helpdesk work as I have NO experience but that is proving to be difficult. So in the meantime I am spending my spare time studying for my MCDST exams with the first being booked in for mid March. I am only using the Microsoft press book at the moment but I am thinking about getting more resources... cheap!

Hopefully some sort of certification can make up for the lack of experience...

I have a Bachelor of Multimedia Systems from back home but am not a creative soul, hence the drastic career shift.

I've known about this forum for a few weeks now and I registered recently. I think it is fantastic and the advice here is excellent.

If anyone has any advice on the best way to try and get my foot in the door somewhere that would be wonderful, but please bear in mind that while I have always had an interest, I have NO experience working in any kind of IT environment... :oops:

Thanks to the experts who have helped me so far, it really has been handy.

2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

We all had no experience at the beginnings of our IT careers. Yes, getting your first IT job *is* gonna be difficult... but yes, it is possible.

The MCDST will serve you well in helping to distinguish yourself above your competition, provided they are in the same no-experience boat you are in... and most will be. Additionally, you might consider the A+ and Network+, as both are also good entry-level certifications. However, that's about as far as you should pursue the certification path until you've gotten your first IT job and gotten some experience under your belt.

Your Bachelors degree, despite being in a different career field, will also help to distinguish you from your competition (my BS is in Chemistry). That said, many entry-level employers aren't looking for degreed individuals, so they might actually believe that you could be too expensive for them to hire. In any case, someone is likely to give you an interview at some point, and you can use that opportunity to shine even brighter.

Welcome to the forums!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. maccaman

maccaman Bit Poster

Thanks for the encouraging words mate. :thumbleft

I've been both trying to find a job while studying (I am currently unemployed) and it has started to get quite dispiriting...

I know it will get infinitely easier once I am certified but it is always reassuring to hear so.

4. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

Hi & welcome to CF:D

NB

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA
  5. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

No - it will get somewhat easier once you are certified. It will get infinitely easier when you've got some experience under your belt!!!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  6. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Hi there and welcome, so what made you leave Oz? :)

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  7. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

G'day and good luck mate 8)

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  8. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Hi & welcome to CF :)

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  9. oztrailrider

oztrailrider Nibble Poster

Hi mate, welcome to CF. Good luck with your job hunt over there.

My guess would be the mandatory internet filtering our idiotic government is pushing. :x

Certifications: MCP (70-270)
    WIP: A+
  10. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

11. oztrailrider

oztrailrider Nibble Poster

You weren't aware of it Bluerinse?

Certifications: MCP (70-270)
    WIP: A+
  12. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

I had heard a little about it but i hadn't until now taken the time to delve into what the fuss is all about. Now i know, and can honestly say that i'm gobsmacked. it is ludicrous to the extreme :x

13. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

Welcome Maccaman.

Unfortunately, since you're living in Edinburgh and looking for an entry level IT job, I'm going to have to hunt you down and eliminate you :biggrin

Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job