G'day all - Can't wait to get started ! ! !

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by Harps05, May 26, 2010.

1. Harps05

Harps05 New Member

Hi All,

I have only just discovered this, fine, site in the last week. I must say the advice and information handed out by some of the posters is invaluable.

To say that finding the right courses and certifications to get started in IT is confusing, is an understatement. For example, I showed my interest to SEEK Learning (Australia)in regards to undertaking a CompTIA A+ and MCDST. A phone call promptly followed in which I was advised to undertake the following courses over 2 years. Here is the actual condensed summation of the reply email from them.

Discounted Enrollment FEE (all courses) $4950 (Total program value $20000+)

Individual course costs:
    MCDST $1800
    A+ $1800
    MCTS $1800
    ITIL $1320
    MCITP EA $4950
    MCSE $4950
    CCNA $2340
    Voice $1300
    Wireless $1300
    Security $1300

Also including:
    FREE Books 24X7 $599
    FREE Upgrades (2 years) $2000

Availability of this discounted training program is limited to enrollments prior to May 31st 2010

Now not having any idea of which way to go about this, I was actually contemplating with my wife about doing this. After all, these people claim to be experts on career guidance. So anyway I had looked at what Government payments I could recieve while taking them and if I would be able to claim the Fees on Tax etc. . . . . . . . . . . . . . And then I came across a little friendly forum called "certforums".

After reading thru a few posts on breaking into this field. I have taken the plunge for a total cost so far of
    AUD132.22.

I have on order via AMAZON:

CompTIA A+ Certification All-in-One Exam Guide, Seventh Edition (Exams 220-701 & 220-702)
    Michael Meyers; Hardcover; $37.79

CompTIA A+ 220-701 and 220-702 Exam Cram"
    David L. Prowse; Paperback; $29.69

+ AUD 47.61 Express Postage (DHL)

So now I'm awaiting delivery and eager to get started. If I read these thoroughly and take in some "Professor Messer" vids I should at least have a shot at passing shouldn't I ?

I know it's not going to be easy as my wife and I are expecting our first child in August after 5 years of trying, but this is my motivation and 2010 is going to be a year of changes and achievments.

Thanks for taking the time.

WIP: CompTIA A+, MCDST
  2. chuckles

chuckles Kilobyte Poster

Welcome, I too am a new member. A lot of people on this forum like the Mike Meyers book. I watched about 30 hours of his videos through PrepLogic. I found the PrepLogic practice exams to be very good. They do occassionally go on sale. I picked up the Security+ and Network+ for $50 each one weekend. I'm using the Network one now and the Security for the future..... I also liked the A+ ExamCram practice exams. Between the PrepLogic and ExamCram practice exams and my studies I was well prepared. I used the Jean Andrews A+ book which I found to be very good but I'm sure Meyers is at least as good. I never even used the ExamCram book, only the practice exam. I got my 2006 A+ in Feb. and '09 A+ Bridge cert. in April. Practice, Practice, Practice.

Certifications: '07/'09 A+, N+, S+
    WIP: maybe something Apple
  3. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

It's certainly possible! :) I wholeheartedly recommend the Meyers book!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  4. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

Welcome:D

Another vote here for the Meyers book!

NB

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA