gbdirect ? Anyone had experience with them?

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by Wassup, May 27, 2008.

1. Wassup

Wassup Byte Poster

I have been lucky enough to be offered some money by my boss for "CV enhancing" training and whilst originally I was thinking of Security+ or CEH, I have decided to instead go for Cisco. The security stuff I am more inclined to do myself and as and when I have the time and motivation.

I am coming across more and more cisco gear in my job (I have just borrowed a couple of 2600 series to explore a little) and as I do really benefit from classroom learning, I have been looking for a 5 day course for the ICND part 1 and have come across this

http://training.gbdirect.co.uk/courses/cisco/ICND1_Implementing_Cisco_Network_Devices_Part1.html

Has anyone here had any dealings with gbdirect? What were they like?
    Has anyone done the ICND 1 and found it to be useful in their job?

And for a more general discussion, I know that self-study is the highly promoted way of learning on this board and I have done a lot of study in the last few years myself, but anyone else had any classroom experience that was either really good or really bad?

Thanks for reading :)

2. kevicho

kevicho Gigabyte Poster

Maybe they could offer some references (direct from there students - i always ask for someone who had problems, then that way you can find out what they are like if something goes wrong)

Also you could ask to sit in on one of their labs to see how things really are.

If they decline both of these then id look somewhere else (1K+ is a lot of money, even if its not yours)

I know you want to do a course but i personally would ask my boss for money for materials (im currently "loving" the cisco press books + mentor video) and equipment, and a set amount of hours each week away from job to complete self training, then you have a ready made training system for more people, who knows you could branch into training, which would look good on your CV

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCSA Server 2003, 2008, Windows XP & 7 , ITIL V3 Foundation
    WIP: CCNA Renewal
  3. Wassup

Wassup Byte Poster

thanks for your reply

I hadnt actually thought of doing that, in terms of getting all the materials and then having time away from work to study .. I'll definately give that one some thought.

As for gbdirect, I rang them this afternoon and they said they'd email me but I havent received anything yet .. so not looking too rosy

any way you have gievn me some food for thought so thanks .. have some rep :)