Gaps on CV

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by reverb, Apr 7, 2010.

1. reverb

reverb Byte Poster

Hi,

Is it best to address gaps on the CV or on the covering letter?

2. Bri1981

Bri1981 Byte Poster

How big are the gaps?

Certifications: See signature
    WIP: MBA entry diploma
  3. reverb

reverb Byte Poster

Just over a year, it was about 5 years ago though. I'm in a job now of course.

4. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

If it hasn't caused you an issue by now I wouldn't worry about it.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  5. reverb

reverb Byte Poster

Well, I was never asked before about it in my job now nor in any interviews (although not many lol) I had prior to that. I guess some are more lenient than others.
    It was just that I was speaking to a recruiter the other day and he scrutinised my cv and asked me what happened in that year so I told him exactly what happened and that was the end of it. Then after that I was thinking maybe it would be best to address this if it was major concern with potential employers and recruiters instead of leaving an unexplained gap.

6. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

If you are applying for anything that needs a CRB or security check you will need to detail the "gap" when you apply as the employer may be nervous about gaps.

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  7. westernkings

westernkings Gigabyte Poster

I usually just say I've been in Prison for War-crimes. Take it as you will interviewer. 8)

Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3
  8. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

We've had this debate before, and as I recall it got rather heated...

:blink

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 8, 2010
    Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  9. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

Well lets just keep it civil and on-topic then :)

(... and I'll be watching :ohmy )

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  10. dazza786

dazza786 Megabyte Poster

abuse! :p

Certifications: MCP (271, 272, 270, 290, 291, 621, 681, 685), MCDST, MCTS, MCITP, MCSA, Security+, CCA(XA6.5)
  11. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

Personally I wouldn't mention it unless asked at interview. In this day and age people have gaps in their career for all sorts of reasons (family, study, unemployment, can't be arsed to work). I have gaps between some jobs of a month or so and years missing off my CV if an employer did the maths but it was before working in IT and it's left off so my CV isn't over 2 pages long. The jobs didn't have anything to do with my career now. My current employer doesn't really need to know I worked for my dad in a scrap yard or that I worked for the Inland Revenue. It's never been an issue for me getting work and I've never been asked and I work in a SC job.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011