Gaming Time, PC or Console

Discussion in 'Gamers Hangout' started by onoski, Jun 25, 2009.

1. Gingerdave

Gingerdave Megabyte Poster

I agree for certain types - FPS, RTS, RPG, MORPG they are better, however driving games, sports, maybe some action games I would say that the console is better

Certifications: A+,MCP, MCDST, VCP5 /VCP-DV 5, MCTS AD+ Net Inf 2008, MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Good Lord, man, are you on dialup? :twisted:

But the only additional costs were the video card and the PSU. You would have had to buy a computer for non-gaming purposes anyway, right?

Come on, mate... compare apples to apples. "Installing" a flash game takes me about 4 seconds. Does that make a PC faster or take less effort??

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Just goes to show that am not the only one struggling to get time dedicated to play PC games:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  4. Gingerdave

Nope 14 large patches that required a game restart before the next one could be applied.

5. Raffaz

Raffaz Kebab Lover Gold Member

I used to play games all the time, but i can never find the time these days, also the games these days dont have the addictive qualities that i grew up with on systems like the amiga etc.
    Ive got a 360, wii, modded xbox and GBA and i never use them at all (offers please :))

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, AutoCAD
    WIP: Rennovating my house
  6. Ence

Ence Kilobyte Poster

Can't afford PC gaming now, Only this year I when for a console Xbox more some game just not the same on Xbox then on PC take TF2 on all time favs many hours spent also CCS but sadly not on Xbox tho it is made by Valve.

The main push to console was getting sick and tied of wall hack pr!cks on PC.

7. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

At uni I would play games all the time but not anymore, just dont have the time tbh.

I do have a WII but its just for fun and not really for gaming if you know what I mean, good laugh after a few beers as well. :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  8. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Same here - no time for games. Marriage and work put paid to that. When a new Tomb Raider game comes out I'll play that until I complete it (usually takes three or four days) but other than that I just can't be bothered with them.

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  9. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I don't mind havibng to download and install patches atleast you know the game is being fixed.

Anyway I am saddened to hear that Crysis is coming to the 360 not sure if its coming on PS3 I just hope it ain some crap port like they usually do when bringing a pc game to console.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  10. Gingerdave

FPS normally translates quite well as they have a lot of them.

11. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

I take you mean on the console like X-box or PS3?

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
  12. delorean

delorean Megabyte Poster

I have a Nintendo DS, does the job for me. One of my favourite games for it is Exit.

Click this link to play an online demo of it. :)

Certifications: A+, MCP 70-270, 70-290, 70-291
    WIP: 70-680, S+, MCSA, MCSE, CCNA
  13. Gingerdave

I did indeed. The wii not so much..

14. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

I might end up getting the X-Box 360 as I can't play pro evolution soccer 2009 on the PC. The screen starts and then freezes saying a fault caused the program to stop working. I believe it's all to do with Vista as am running the ultimate version.

The PC has direct x 9.0, 2.41 Ghz and a Geforce nvidia 9800 512MB overclocked. I haven't had away issues running a game on Windows XP so am attributing this fault to Vista's fussyness:)

Any ideas guys and gals:)?

15. BosonMichael

Sounds like a game designer I'd avoid in the future, if possible!

Then you're not purchasing wisely... I can run on a CPU for years before needing an upgrade. My most recent gaming box is a 1.86 GHz C2D rig that I built almost 3 years ago. It shows no signs of slowness. The one before that was a 2.4 GHz P4 that I built in 2002, and it's still being used by the wife and kids without any problems. Two boxen over 7 years isn't too shabby... and I'm not expecting to build a new one for another couple years, at least!

I did get some extra memory that was FREE after rebate, and I got that video card for a net $45... quite reasonable for a box that needed nothing else for 3 years, wouldn't you agree? I promise you, if you purchase correctly the first time, you won't need to upgrade for a while.

For the record, my most recent box cost me $1200 in 2006... so I didn't spend an arm and a leg back then, either. I dare say I could build a nice one these days for $800ish. :thumbleft

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  16. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

Oooh, I dunno. Their most recent game (Dawn Of War 2) was uber!

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  17. BosonMichael

That's where the "if possible" comes into play. Still, I managed to avoid DoW2... ;)

18. Gingerdave

You should give it a go if you like RTS - very good fun

19. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

The various Company of Heroes titles managed to completely pass me by for some reason, but I may try them out since DOW2 was so good. DOW2 was based on the COH engine and by the same team.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  20. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

If the spec says 1GHz ram then doubl it for vista. If the cpu speed says 2.8 for xp then it'l be 3 on vista + you need dx10

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?