Gaming PCs vs. Consoles

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Mr.Cheeks, Apr 4, 2007.

1. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

For those who missed the Gadget show on Monday, he is the dual between PC's and Consoles.

The Gadget Show Channel 5 at 19:15

2. elli5on

elli5on Kilobyte Poster

mwahahahahahahahaha, I would have to agree. PC's are better IMHO for gaming. But on the other hand, if you have a few mates over... A console would win hands down. Easier to set up and play.

But you stick 2 8800 GTX's in a pc and there isnt really a contest to hand. Sure the PS3 is a great console without a doubt. But they cannot compete with an ever upgradable PC hardware market. Hence the reason PC's are always going to outmaster a console for gaming.

Bring on Crysis. Next generation right there alone.

Elli5on :D

Certifications: A+ N+
    WIP: Thinking of MCDST
  3. Lord Deckard

Lord Deckard Byte Poster

It's horses for courses really. Some games just work better on a console, others on a PC. Be nice one day if there was unified platform but that way probably lies stagnation rather than innovation!
    If money was no object, I'm sure everyone would have a high end PC but if the wii xbox or playstation has the games you want to play and they aint out on PC, what ya going to do! :)

Lord Deckard

Certifications: A+, MCDST
    WIP: N+ and CCNA
  4. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Exactly - there's no contest. I've had the ability to connect to remote opponents for years, I can add and/or upgrade a plethora of different hardware components at my leisure, and best of all, I can play games that are over 15 years old and I can play games that will be developed 5+ years from now. With an emulator, I can even play console games from just about every older console in existence! Try THAT with your PS3, your Wii, or your Xbox 360!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  5. BosonMichael

Games that are developed for the console, then ported to the PC, frankly, suck... at least 90% of the time. And I might be in the minority, but there's not anything I want on a console that I can't (eventually) get on a PC.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  6. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

I prefer a good PC system for most games (especially now i have one), but theres benefits for consoles:

1. You go into a shop for a new game, you are looking for a single specification, characterised in an easy to spot logo. You never need to worry about your CPU meeting reqs, because you KNOW it does.

2. Setup is a piece of p*ss - put the game in, turn it on, job done! How many times have you bought a PC game and had to spend at least an hour trying to get the damn thing to work on your system? Standard specs mean that it will always work (barring knackered equipment/discs - what i mean is that you never have to worry if the chipset isnt compatible).

3. On the occassions when the game isnt working well. Odds are high that its shoddy programming. You dont need to spend hours fine tuning the options to get it running acceptably.

4. Its easy to play with multiple friends who are round.

Overall, most of the above is ideal for a day to day user (you know the ones, we all support them, tell them to log out and they reboot!), who wants to game. Those of us with savvy are quite happy to tinker for hours getting it just right, and we are generally rewarded with much better looking games, and better playability. But no-one can really deny the benefits of a console.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  7. BosonMichael

...and pay $50 for it... unlike PC games, which you can get for cheap, in as little as a month (or less) after release.

Besides, how difficult is it to read the "minimum system requirements" on the box? Perhaps that's why Vista's got the Windows Experience Index score, for people who can't read words... but it's really not that difficult.

It doesn't take me an hour to get games to work or fiddle with options. I install it, I play it. It's not rocket science... Most games will autodetect your hardware and configure the optimal options anyway.

Standard specs mean that it will always work, but it also means that it will not tolerate any different hardware... meaning, you're stuck with the same controllers, the same video chip, the same everything... it's simply not upgradeable.

It's easy to play PC games with friends around... and it's even better when you play against them when they're NOT around! ;)

I agree, consoles do have some benefits if you're a casual gamer... but if you're an avid gamer and not a complete moron, the difference is crystal clear. :)

8. elli5on

elli5on Kilobyte Poster

Right you are michael. But your running an x850xt!! Teee heeeee. Only joking buddy. I see where everyones opinions are coming from. But ill stick with my original post for sure.

PC all the way chaps :D

9. elli5on

elli5on Kilobyte Poster

And plus, the XBOX 360's get hotter than a fully central heated radiator thats been running for 5 hours!!! Burn your finger time. Put crysis on it, and its gonna start smoking at the seems :D

10. BosonMichael

Let's not even go into the Red Ring of Death... try fixing THAT on your own. Nope... to the repair center it goes!

11. BosonMichael

An X850XT that I can easily upgrade as higher-end video card prices come down. ;) Woohooooo! Just try that with a console... oh wait, can't do that... 8)

12. rockstar6181

rockstar6181 Byte Poster

I have a xbox 360 and am more than happy with it, I do plan on building a new pc however later this year with all latest bits, I look to my xbox360 for gaming per say and the pc will be used for sims, sim city, C+C type games as well as virtual pc/vm ware type applications.

Certifications: A/N+ MCSA 2003
  13. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

Consoles? what are they?

I cant ever imagine something like Supreme Commander being played on a console with a keybad, that would be heartbreaking

also like Mike said
    Ported games suck, primarily because they have so many hard limitations around the UI that are never addressed when they move over to a PC
    UI is everything in these games, and consoles just cant do it well with 5 buttons and a Dpad!

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0