Game serving

Discussion in 'Internet, Connectivity and Communications' started by Mix'Creations, Aug 7, 2009.

1. Mix'Creations

Mix'Creations Nibble Poster

Hi all not been on here in a while, but know theres some good help so i returned.

Ok, at the moment im getting my head stuck into the CIW Website Design Manager course, currently on Section 2 Part B (half way), but someone told me (advised me) to take an interest in Game servers, hosting them etc, now i have played a good few games in past but not into it as much these days, only because of time issues, but the idea of having set up a game server rings clear, execept i haven't a scoobi doo (clue) about getting from A - Z on it all, so if anyone can point me in right direction that would be triffick.

I do no some about port forwarding, IP's etc, but bit scratchy.

Thank you

Certifications: 1D0-510) CIW Web Foundations Associate,
    WIP: On route to Guru
  2. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Your other post has been deleted, please do not double post.

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  3. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Since you're half way thru the CIW Website Design Manager course, you might as well finish it and get that qualification.

As for hosting a game server, I can't imagine it being that different from creating a LAN game server. One thing to make sure is that your internet connection (both upload and download) can handle the traffic.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  4. Mix'Creations

Thank you for the replies, my course and future career are seperate from this interest in serving, but i would like to look into it seriously.

Didnt know you cant double post by way, wont do it again lol

5. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

Hi

I help out admin a user forum for a leading Uk GSP (Game Server Provider) - www.inx-gaming.com

Not quite sure of the relevance of setting up a gameserver with your web course but it really depends what you're into.

At a simple level, most games allow you to host your own "server" off your pc which will then get broadcast via the game browser so opther players can join.

If you're referring to how to get setup as a GSP and offering services to other gamers then there are a whole variety of issues to take into account.

First off, there are very many "bedroom" GSP's who ultimately do not survive as they do not cost their service properly and only run it part-time. This is not really of much use to hardened gamers who require a reliable service with back-up support.

To take things to the next level means starting to employ staff to deal with support issues, renting servers at datacentres, settiing up infrastructure to support them, security issues, customer admin (via control panel of some sort) to switch games etc.

As you can see - a whole lot of considerations.

You can read a bit more about problems from the MD at INX in his blog post last December : http://www.inx-gaming.com/gaming-blog/random/is-your-server-host-telling-porkies/

In fact, don't know where you're based, but the MD is coming to Bournemouth on 17th Sept to speak to the Dorset BCS Branch on the technical aspects of being a GSP - you're welcome to attend if you can make it (PM me for details).

HTH

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  6. Mix'Creations

A freind made it sound easier than that lol.

Think i might just concentrate on the course im undertaking, only toyed with the idea of GS, its just the fact that i seem to be doing more studying than doing, its a slow process, but got some irons in the fire.

Thanx