Fun weekend spent in the North Sea!

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by danielno8, Oct 30, 2011.

1. danielno8

danielno8 Gigabyte Poster

Absolutely spent now! After finishing work in the office at 9pm on Thursday night, home to bed before getting up at 04:45 to get to the heliport for my flight to a platform in the north sea.

Job was to replace our Cisco 3745 routers with new Cisco 2921 routers. After an initial panick thinking i hadn't sent out long enough fibre cables, i managed to get that connected and the cutover went quite smooth (had some QoS issues, in that the new routers weren't seeing the DSCP markings. For some reason the core switches started stripping the DSCP. Resolved by adding a simple trust dscp config line to the port-channel). Bizarre this was working before the new routers went in!

With flight not until tomorrow morning i had some time and managed to get all our faulty fibres back up and also changed around the core routing so the routers were no longer trying to load balance (the way the network is physically cabled, the routers thought they were load balancing but were actually sending it through the same core switch).

Some spanning tree config to make all the uplinks point to the best core switch (along with making this the active HSRP router for all the VLAN interfaces.

Shattered but the network is a lot more straightforward/predictable now!

Certifications: CCENT, CCNA
    WIP: CCNP
    GiddyG likes this.
  2. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Good times, sounds like you enjoyed it.

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5