Full time job!

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by shaggy, Feb 23, 2008.

1. shaggy

shaggy Byte Poster

Finally got myself a full time job! i start on the 25th as a 'Primary Support Technician'

Its a long trip to get there eachday and the wage is poor so i dont know if ill be able to stick it, but going to give it a go.

its at an insurance brokers and i dont quite know what sort of problems people will be phoning in with, i believe they look after 15 sites in the UK, which all use 'citrix servers', something ive barely even heard of?

anyone care to hazard a guess at what problems ill be dealing with?

ill report back with the 3 day thread on wednesday evening

Certifications: BND ICT Systems Support and Networking
    WIP: A+
  2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Sounds like it'll be general helpdesk work, good luck :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. GiddyG

GiddyG Terabyte Poster Gold Member

Great news on the job! :D

I can only assume that the users will be accessing the majority of their apps via Citrix. The apps sit on servers at the backend, and the user will presumably access via an ICA client on the client at their end.

As GBL says, you'll be doing general helpdesk... answering calls, talking them through when they can't connect, escalating to the people who actually look after the 'farms' of Citrix servers.

4. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Good luck with the job! At least you have one. :biggrin Now you can get yourself some experience.

Citrix is sort of like PCAnywhere - a method of getting remote access to a desktop. But it is much more complex than that (this is from reading about it - I have no personal experience of it).

It seems that Citrix experience is valuable - so this could help you later on.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  5. Rob1234

Rob1234 Megabyte Poster Forum Leader

We use citrix were I work tends to be quite stable though I have heard some bad thigns about it, really it will still be the general helpdesk problems you will be dealing with.

Congrats and good luck.

Certifications: A few.
  6. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

Congrats on the job:D

NB

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA
  7. shaggy

shaggy Byte Poster

Thanks everyone

The plan is to stick it out till around august time to get some cash behind me, a little holiday then off to uni in september :biggrin

8. kat731
    Honorary Member

kat731 Megabyte Poster

Well done Shag...

Kat

Certifications: BA (Hons), A+
    WIP: 70-685 77-884
  9. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Congrats :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  10. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

Way to go with the job :) - everyone goes through the hard-to-get helpdesk job, do it well, get the experience and then next time you come to apply for jobs, at least you have commercial experience under your belt.

Certifications: MBCS, BSc(Hons), Cert(Maths), A+, Net+, MCDST, ITIL-F v3, MCSA
    WIP: 70-293
  11. Jock_McTartan

Jock_McTartan Bit Poster

Congrats on the job!

Haven't used Citrix for years but printing was always a pig to get working from what I remember!
    Try and get as involved server side as Citrix is pretty well saught after :)

Good luck!

WIP: 70-270, Linux+
  12. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Major congrats!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  13. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Congats on the job mate. Citrix is like Microsoft Terminal Services but with more bells and whistles. They will definetly have people that support the Citrix side of things, so you wont be expected to troubleshoot Citrix issues as such.

Good luck!!

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  14. shaggy

shaggy Byte Poster

Forgot to mention that everyone on the IT department get ALL the comptia exams and all the microsoft ones up to MCSE for free, of which they expect you to study for

shame i wont be there for that long though

15. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Congratulations 8)

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  16. harpistic

harpistic Byte Poster

Wow, with a deal like that, defer uni and get the certs :eek: - anyway, best of luck, especially with the commute! Looking forward to hearing how it goes...

Certifications: Pet Geekery
    WIP: cure for insomnia
  17. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

Perhaps it may not seem as bad as that - I know of people who have either had a summer job while at uni, before-uni job (like yourself) or industrial placement (during a year of uni) that have gone back to the same company and worked for them afterwards - especially if you show potential.

Put nevertheless, it is a great step (wish I had done it earlier!)

Certifications: MBCS, BSc(Hons), Cert(Maths), A+, Net+, MCDST, ITIL-F v3, MCSA
    WIP: 70-293
  18. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

Funny you should say that Blue, I seem to remember reading that MS licensed the TS technology from Citrix. :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  19. sunn

sunn Gigabyte Poster

Congratulations...
    Sounds like a great first step

20. Jiser

Jiser Kilobyte Poster

I would stick around till September if I was you OR Also I would work for an extra year before doing my degree. Reasons as follows:

September:
    1) Extra pay
    2) More experiance
    3) Most universities get 4 months for summer anyway, so you can go on holiday then

Extra Year:
    1) More experiance
    2) Qualifications maybe paid for - save money + you get qualifications!
    3) My experiance as university hasn't been great. Having that extra experiance + certs before you go in, is gonna look really good to employers! Specially if you have a placement year. Also you will be way ahead probably. In my experiance also depending on degree alot of what you do isn't particuarly practical or relevant to what you may be doing in the 'real world'
    4) Extra money saved for EXPENSIVE university

Certifications: BSc (Hons), PGc, MCTS:Win 7, MCSA W7/MCITP EDST, ITIL Foundation, Prince 2 Foundation, C&G: Web Design, MOS 07: Excel, Word, Powerpoint, Outlook.