Fujitsu Laptop Casing

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Colloghi, Mar 1, 2007.

1. Colloghi

Colloghi Kilobyte Poster

I have a lovely fujitsu amillo laptop, but unfortunately the thing is starting to fall apart in terms of appearance, which im a bit digusted at considering it hasnt been chucked about or anything. The casing has just cracked in many places and now the bloody screen is hanging off, as the two screws holding have snapped:blink

whilst we do have this on a finance type of agreement and a warranty with it, im just wondering where i could get a new casing from, if they do not decide to replace it or whatever. As the power pack has already died in the past and the warranty apaprently didnt cover this after 6 months and they expected us to pay £119 for labour and a new power pack. Needless to say i told them to send the laptop back and i bought a power pack for £24.99.

Anyone enough moaning::p

So any ideas on where i can get a casing for my fujitsu amillo laptop if things go to crap

Certifications: A+, MCP 270, 271, MCDST
    WIP: 290
  2. Raffaz

Raffaz Kebab Lover Gold Member

I sold one of them on ebay a while back, so maybe have a look on there for damaged ones and use it for spares.

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, AutoCAD
    WIP: Rennovating my house
  3. Colloghi

Colloghi Kilobyte Poster

I had a lookie before, couldnt see any:(, i was just wondering if anyone new of a specific place i may get one.........

Hopefully i wont need to and they will replace it, but ive noticed with warranties, they have limits:(

4. Colloghi

Colloghi Kilobyte Poster

Ok ive now spoke to the Helpdeaks with my warranty support

Obviously they think ive dropped it:(

Anyhow they are taking it in to look at it, but if they assess it and say yes its been dropped then they will charge me £94 basic, for carriage, and then a further quote of whatever to repair it.

If they think it hasnt been droped, then they are happy to repair the hinge

Now i can live with cracks in it, but im worried about the screen hanging off which is why ive sent it in for repair, all thats happened is the left hinge holding the screen has come away from the laptop, the screws are snapped in half, so obviously it needs new screws there. But also, it just dosnt look right, something looks missing maybe i need a photo to explain:dry

Anyway i suppose im mmmbling, but to the basic, does anyone have any rough idea how much a quote for this will be. because im not confident, and im sure they will say it looks as if it has been droppeD:*

In fact ive a good mind to chuck the bloody thing down the stiars and clim off the house insurance:(

5. Colloghi

Colloghi Kilobyte Poster

Ok i know im probably annoying people now, for which i do apologise, but i have manflu (apparently),my fiancee is out in my hour of need, and the laptop is starting to mock me:(

Ive had a looksee at the hinge and from what i can tell, the screen fisnt rotating on the hinge freely. Instead of the hinge on the screen remaing where it is and allowing the screen to rotate around it as it is opened and closed, its actually moving with the screen, hence pulling at the screws which in turn have snapped and why the casing has cracked under the strain probably.
    some pics

screen opened-
    http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h268/Colloghi/hinge2.jpg

screen closed
    you can also see the damage its done to the casing edge

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h268/Colloghi/hinge.jpg
    Well thats my theory:D

Its really stuck this hinge, is there anyway i can release it? Im more curious for incase i ever come across this problem again

6. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Mate the only place you will get the parts is Fujitsu themselves or as has been suggested a second hand one. Though to me this looks like poor design, they will say it has been dropped and i suspect it will cost an arm and a leg to fix it.

Good luck.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  7. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

You could try working sewing machine oil into the hinge and get it moving again.:oops:

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  8. Colloghi

Colloghi Kilobyte Poster

sewing machine oil?:blink

i make enough mess with toothpaste, when brusing my biters, go knows the damage i cold do being let loose with oil:biggrin

Ive had a look around the web, and at that guide that was providing on fixing laptops on here (sorry forgot your user name). It seems this is a common problem and looking on the fujitsu user forums, a very common problem with this type of laptop. Despite the guy on the fujitu guy saying he had not heard of a similar problem.

Its still under warranty til july, so i think its a case of sending it back tommorow, and arguing with them if they decide its my fault, or better sticking the missus on, she is a feisty one when she gets going.

Thanks for the replies on this, ill keep you all updated.

One last thing, if i included a note detailing the fault and whats happned, would that seem as if i was telling the tech guys their job? or would they appreciate it, as it may make repair quicker?

9. Raffaz

Raffaz Kebab Lover Gold Member

I think thats down to the person repairing it, some people would appreciate it and some would be pissed off with you suggesting that they dont know what they are doing :)

It might be worth making notes off some of the forums from people who have had similar problems, coz it might help when your on the phone to them. It makes your case stronger, if you have other people with the same problems.

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, AutoCAD
    WIP: Rennovating my house
  10. Colloghi

Colloghi Kilobyte Poster

I think ill leave the note, the tech might be havin a bad day and i suppose the last thing you want to see is a note from someone trying to gain entry into the IT sector:)

I will take the notes down from that website, as the problems stated are almost identical. Hinge falling offs, screws broken, even cracks in the casing.

Thanks for the advice:)