FTP format using a password and username

Discussion in 'Networks' started by michael78, Aug 26, 2005.

1. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

Does anyone know if below is the way you would connect to an FTP site using a username and password?

Code:
    ftp://username:[email protected]

Cheers

Michael

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011
  2. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Usually your username is "anonymous" and your password is any e-mail address.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  3. SimonV
    Honorary Member

SimonV Petabyte Poster Gold Member

According to the specification of URL formats, RFC 1738, an FTP URL is of the form
    Code:
    ftp://user:password@host:port/path 
    some or all of the parts may be excluded. so yes.

Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...
  4. d-Faktor
    Honorary Member

d-Faktor R.I.P - gone but never forgotten.

wasn't there a microsoft security patch about a year ago that prevents the use of username : password@host strings? or was that only for http requests?

5. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

Off topic post.

d-Faktor,

I liked your old avatar from MCSE World much better. It was much more pleasant to look at.... :biggrin

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  6. SimonV
    Honorary Member

SimonV Petabyte Poster Gold Member

There was but I seem to remember it being removed again some time after? I could be wrong though, I'd be interested to find out.

Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...
  7. d-Faktor
    Honorary Member

hmmm... you'll have to remind me, freddy, because i always get bored really fast with my avatar, so i usually change it every few weeks. i know i had quite a few different ones both on mcseworld and tech-unity. don't you like the bunny? :hhhmmm

8. d-Faktor
    Honorary Member

hmm, there's this one for this vulnerability, but i can't find anything about it being removed. still, it only deals with http/https requests, so it's not of any consequence for the above mentioned ftp request.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 2, 2015
  9. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

Oh, I guess the bunny is OK. It's not my style so I'm actually quite indifferent to it. Your old avatar on MCSE World though was a good looking gal on whose arm you had placed a photoshopped tattoo. She was much eaiser to look to at. :biggrin

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  10. d-Faktor
    Honorary Member

ah yes, i remember now. well, i usually save all my avatars, but i can't find this one. i'll have a proper look later this evening. still, i do remember where i got the source image: http://ads.skins.be/pics/charlizeFJEJ1_02_1024.jpg.
    it was heavily cropped, mainly focussing on the arm, on which i indeed had photoshopped a reasonably genuine looking tattoo of a logo i was using back then. i remember people asking me if that was me, but alas, i had to admit that it was actually charlize theron in the picture.

anyway, this is getting waaay off-topic. sorry everybody.

11. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

How are you trying to connect, Slypie ? ftp client, IE, command line ?

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  12. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

Jakamoko, I just wanted to know how you connect to an FTP site through IE when you need and username and password.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011
  13. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

IE sux...especially at connecting to FTP servers. You can do it from the command line or download free FTP client software to your computer and use that. I tend to use client software because it makes it easier for me to login to sites I visit repeatedly. I do the configuration once and it's there forever. AceFTP 3 Freeware but there are plenty of free FTP clients available for download. I did a quick google search and came up with this:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=download+free+ftp+clients&btnG=Google+Search

Check them out and have fun. :)

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  14. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Only using IE as an example, Trip.

Slypie - just type ftp.domainname into the address bar (IE will then auto-add the ftp// part for you) and press enter. You will then be asked for the username and pass - enter these, and you'll be able to browse your folders.

Stick with a proper ftp client, tho - Filezilla is the Daddy for this 8)

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity