FTP client

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by antonethebone, May 13, 2014.

1. antonethebone

antonethebone New Member

Hi. I am studying IT networking (Microsoft certification) and am having trouble with a question in my comptia A+ networking section. The question is: Using your current browser as an FTP client, locate the same version of Firefox (latest version - this is question 2 and question 1 involved downloading the latest version of Firefox) and the same file at the Mozilla FTP site (ftp.mozilla.org) and download it to your PC. What is the path to the Firefox file on the FTP site? In what folder on your hard drive did you put the file?

The problem I am having is: using my current browser as an FTP client. I downloaded an FTP site and it seems just to be a file sharing thing. I cannot seem to understand what I need to do to be able to use my browser as an FTP client. I have also downloaded the Filezilla (mozilla FTP) but am getting nowhere because it keeps asking for a URL when I try to sign up, but I'm not sure what this URL is. Any help on this subject/question would be great.

2. SimonV
    Honorary Member

SimonV Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Use the ftp address ftp.mozilla.org in the address bar of the browser just as you would a website address, your browser will be able to navigate the FTP site without the use of any other FTP software so you dont need Filezilla to complete this task.

Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...
  3. antonethebone

antonethebone New Member

That was the very first thing I did, because the question appeared to ask me to do that, but my browser just shows an "index of" (Readme 178B, Index.html 384B, pub/), so then I tried ftp://mozilla.org, and got the same result

Last edited: May 13, 2014
  4. SimonV
    Honorary Member

It works fine for me, I can see the directory listing of ftp.mozilla.org

5. antonethebone

antonethebone New Member

What browser are you using? I am using Google Chrome

6. SimonV
    Honorary Member

Firefox but I just tried it in Chrome and it works fine also.

7. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

As mentioned most browsers have a simple FTP client built into them, so you don't need a standalone client like FileZilla.
    (In fact windows comes with multiple ftp clients, theres one in internet explorer, windows explorer and a command line version.)

FTP is file sharing, its File Transfer Protocol.

ftp.mozilla.org is a sub domain of mozilla.org, normally browsers are smart enough to deduce the protocol from the URL.

In this case the protocol is FTP and not HTTP so full URL is :-

ftp://ftp.mozilla.org

Try that instead.

FTP uses TCP/IP port 21 and has its own packet format. ftp.mozilla.org is a DNS hostname, it resolves to IP address 63.245.215.56

So you are instructing the client to connect to host 63.245.215.56 on port 21 and exchange messages in the FTP protocol.

Do you have an 'Evergreen browser', in other words is it configured to auto update to the most recent version ?

There are many other protocols, gopher, telnet, http, ftp, dns, ldap, pop, sntp, dhcp, ntp, etc
    Internet protocol suite - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If you are studying networking I would recommend playing with the command line ftp client instead.
    You should also look into other command line tools like ipconfig, ping, netstat, tracert, nslookup, telnet, arp, route, nbtstat, netcat, wget

Last edited: May 13, 2014
  8. antonethebone

antonethebone New Member

ok thank you for your help