Frontpage error

Discussion in 'Web Development & Web Hosting' started by JonnyMX, Jan 10, 2007.

1. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Hi all - on the scrounge for help here...

We are trying connect to a remote website using FrontPage.
    We've never had a problem with this before.

Since moving onto a new network, we haven't been able to connect to it. Instead, we get the error message "The folder http://whatever.com isn't accessible. The folder may be located in an unavailable location, protected with a password, or the filename contains a / or \."

As far as error messages go, this is about as generic as you can get. Our hosting company has recalculated the server extensions and tested the access and told us that there is nothing wrong. They've blamed our network/firewall.

But this is where it gets weird.

I can access one of the sites from my desktop machine, but I get the error when I try to access any of the others. This would lead me to suspect that it isn't the firewall, as surely it would block all of them.

To make things more complicated, I've got a laptop which I could also use to to access these sites. Last week I joined it to the new domain for the first time and since then I've been getting the same error message, both on the domain and from home. Again, this would lead me to beleive there is something else going on other than just the firewall.

All very strange and frustrating!
    Any help would be appreciated.

Oh - and no prizes for posting 'that's why I don't use FrontPage' etc...

:rolleyes: :biggrin

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  2. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Versions of OSes and FP might help filter out the crud on Gooogle searches! :biggrin

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  3. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Do you have local Admin rights? Or even Domain Admin rights?

:blink

4. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

I have domain admin rights.

There is a lot of crud on Google - it seems that the error message can mean just about anything.

We're using FrontPage 2003 - we have a Cisco firewall and are running ISA on a DMZ.

I'd be happy to accept that our security precautions could be to blame it just seems to be inconsistent that we can get on to one of them but not the others, and likewise it shouldn't stop someone from another location who doesn't have the benefit of the the firewall...

5. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Can you access the site normally ok? i.e. through a browser?

When you say you can't access it from home on your laptop are you using a local account or a cached version of your domain Account?

Seems very strange that it doesn't work since you joined the domain? :hhhmmm

Is the Desktop PC on the new domain?

6. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Yes, the sites work normally.

The laptop will be using a cached version of the domain account, but we've also tried it as local admin.

The desktop is on the domain.

7. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

ISA is a proxy server and by default listens for outgoing web request on port 8080. I presume therefore that your PCs are configured to use ISA as a proxy and that ISA has been configured to allow FTP connections.

Also, for some things to work properly with ISA, you need to install the firewall Client on the clients.

When you are not in the office and ISA is not part of the equation, you would need to disable the Firewall Client and remove the proxy settings in IE Tools > Properties> connections tab > LAN settings.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  8. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

<Cough>, sorry to butt in.

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  9. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

How do you connect to the remote webserver? Is it within Frontpage? Can you use FTP within IE as a test?

Questions, questions! :biggrin

Edit:Also, can you bypass the proxy and just go straight through the Cisco box as the gateway? Hopefully this should be locked down so you cant do this!

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  10. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Spark,

11. Sparky

I think you should be able to FTP onto the web server, don’t quote me on that though. I remember updating a website a few years ago with Frontpage 2000 and I didn’t like uploading from within Frontpage. If I remember correctly I couldn’t browse the remote web server so I didn’t know where I was putting the files.

I loaded up CuteFTP and connected with no problems.

Might be worth chasing this up with the guys who installed the network. It *could* be that if you patch in a new PC it picks up an I.P and just uses the Cisco box as its default gateway. When you add the PC to the domain that’s when the proxy settings kick in and the ISA box isn’t letting you out.

If this is the case then it’s a major mistake in how the outbound traffic is locked down. I saw this once before when I took over a network that was ‘locked down’ and I patched in my laptop and got full internet access. The guy who set it up (he was leaving) said I had to be on the domain to pick up the proxy settings and therefore have ‘locked down’ internet access. Not good! :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
  12. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Spark,

13. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Maybe they have configured a WPAD entry in either DHCP or DNS, in which case the proxy auto discovery should work, well if DNS is configured properly.

I am not sure how FP connects to remote web sites but it would need to use a protocol other than HTTP to transfer files. If you are connecting to the Internet via the ISA server, the ISA rules will need to be properly configured to allow whatever ports and protocols FP uses.

The firewall client (which can only be installed on windows boxes) will fix a lot of connectivity issues and it also allows for better logging of activities as the User/Group info is then available to the ISA server. Without the firewall client software ISA cannot filter web requests on a user/group basis, it also works better for authentication and if the application uses winsock etc.

I don't know of any script but there may well be one.

If you have problems, they are almost certainly ISA related. ISA can be a bear if it is not set up properly.

14. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Thanks for your help.

15. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

NP, If you really are using ISA to access external resources, try and see if you can get the IT guys to install the ISA Firewall Client software on your workstations. It will improve things in many ways.

IMHO ISA should not be in a DMZ, ISA should be the firewall and it should be configured with a DMZ which should contain your web servers and mail servers etc - anything accessible from the Internet.

This is how it should be set up.

Internet Gateway device
    |
    Hardware firewall
    |
    Isa Server with 3 NICs ............ DMZ with web servers and or mail servers, FTP etc
    |
    Local LAN

16. Boycie
    Honorary Member

As far as I am aware Pete, this is how it is set up. Thanks again

17. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Ha ha!
    T055ers!

18. Sparky

Any joy? Also did you manage to get any documentation on the network from the IT guys?

I spend more time creating good network documentation when there is plenty of coffee at a client’s site.

Me: Where are the coffee making facilities?
    Client: Sorry, we don’t have any
    Me : <mumbles> No network documentation or domain admin password for you then!

Opps :offtopic

19. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Care to fire me a linky. I can't comment unless I have read what he has to say.

20. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Spark - I believe we now have documentation of some sort. Will report back when I have looked at it.

Pete - I will post back when I find the link.