FrontPage Drive C: does not exist.

Discussion in 'Windows Server 2003 / 2008 / 2012 / 2016' started by andybeanland, Jun 13, 2005.

1. andybeanland

andybeanland New Member

Hello,

I'm not sure if this is in the right place to ask this question but here goes anyway....

I work at a college and as part of group policy set in Active Directory prevents students seeing the C: drive through Explorer. This is causes probems with Frontpage 2000 because by default it trys to open C:\ drive (when you try and open a page or web) but because this is not visible FrontPage gets a bit cross and won't let the user open any files. The error message is:
    "Drive C: does not exist or is not accessible. Make sure you enter the correct drive"

Someone on this site also had the same problem a few years ago(see link below) but they did not post the solution, and the link they provided is now broken.

http://www.certforums.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=2056

I'd really appreciate some help with this, and if SimonV is still a member on this site, did you manage to find a solution?

Cheers

Andy

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 2, 2015
  2. SimonV
    Honorary Member

SimonV Petabyte Poster Gold Member

That was me with the problem, I solved it by using a little app that I found on the site linked in that thread but it seems that the link is dead now. PM me you email address and I'll send you the file by email.

Si :)

Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...
  3. andybeanland

andybeanland New Member

Cheers Si,

I've PM'd you my email address...

Andy

4. SimonV
    Honorary Member

SimonV Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Email Sent :)

Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...
  5. andybeanland

andybeanland New Member

Just thought I'd let you know that I managed to resolve this issue in the end by using the logon script to add a key to the current user hive of the registry.

This seems to do the job....

reg ADD
    "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\FrontPage\Explorer\FrontPage Explorer\Settings" /v DefaultWebName /t reg_sz /d "H:\\" /f

Cheers

Andy

6. Kayewhy

Kayewhy New Member

I work at a highschool and as part of group policy set in Active Directory, all users except Domain and local admin are prevented from seeing the C: drive through Explorer. This causes problems with PowerPoint 2000 because by default it trys to open C:\ drive (when you try to apply a new design template or add Add-ins). Because the C:\ drive is not visible the following error message comes up about 5 times and then will let you access 'My Documents' (which are redirected to a server) to browse for another template.
    "Drive C: does not exist or is not accessible. Make sure you enter the correct drive"

I looked into using a shared workgroup area for storing the templates, but I wasn't able to get PowerPoint to default there for design templates.

I don't think the reg tweak provided earlier would work, because there is no such key for PowerPoint.

Any ideas would be appreciated.