Front Audio?

Discussion in 'Software' started by elli5on, May 16, 2008.

1. elli5on

elli5on Kilobyte Poster

Hi everyone, Not posted for some time i know... Been busy at work. Quick question, when i plug my headphones into the front audio port, it does not disable the rear audio.... Both are still playing at the same time.

I have cheked the settings in control panel, but still have the same problem.

Any Ideas?????

Craig

Certifications: A+ N+
    WIP: Thinking of MCDST
  2. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

The cut-out is only a mechanical switch inside the socket usually, so the rear sockets won't be affected. You need some external switch unit for this to work correctly.

And if this doesn't make sense, a bit more detail of your setup would be needed to refine the answer! :biggrin

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  3. elli5on

elli5on Kilobyte Poster

OK, here's the strange part. I used to hade it in a different case... Switched case and since then the problm has arrose. Motherboard is now an Asus M2N4-SLI. Only way i can do it at the moment is to turn the speakers down.

4. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

What Harry said is correct.. in your old case, the front headphone socket was clearly a 'switched type', the rear speakers would have a line that went via the front headphone socket, so that when you plugged headphones in, the switch built into the socket, opened the line to the rear audio output. Therefore, there is no setting as such for this in control panel or anywhere else. And to try and redesign the case wiring to accomplish this, would be more hassle than it's worth. :rolleyes:

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  5. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Yep, that's just how they're designed - most front jacks work simultaneously with the rear jacks. Some speakers allow you to plug your headset into the speakers to cut them out. I've got a two-channel amp plugged into my PC, and my speaker and headphones plug into the amp - so I can control my speaker volume and headphone volume independently.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  6. elli5on

elli5on Kilobyte Poster

Its annoying more than anything else. Not a great problem, just have to manually turn the speakers down to use the headset normally.

Cheers folks