From across the pond

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by thebodydundee, Feb 20, 2008.

1. thebodydundee

thebodydundee New Member

Hello,

You guessed it...I'm new. Unfortunately for me there isnt a forum in the states as good as this one. So i figure at least we speak the same language.

My name is Jesse, I work for a Defense Contractor doing electronics. I have just recently gotten my A+, CCNA, CST and CNST. I was wondering if anyone had any advice as to what im worth now in the IT field?

Certifications: A+, CCNA, CST, CNST
  2. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Greetings, Jesse. What are you worth in the IT field? I dunno. It depends on what sort of job you can get and what the pay range is.

Sorry if that was a bit tongue-in-cheek, but that's a tough question to answer. The only way for you to find out yourself is to start applying for jobs and see what comes up. Electronics and certifications aside, you still don't seem to have much direct experience in IT, so you'll likely start out in an entry-level position. Just my humble opinion, of course.

BTW, there are a fair amount of us here from "across the pond". The U.S. is a big place. What part of it do you live in?

Cheers. :)

-Trip

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  3. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Hi and welcome to CF :)

Your question is very "Fuzzy". Your value in terms of a salary is variable, very dependant on your area (both location & field you go into), the company you work for, the position you're at, the industry and your skills (not just your certs). I can give you a range, but it could even fall below/above the range.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  4. thebodydundee

thebodydundee New Member

actually ive been working on computer/networks since i was in 8th grade....that was 8 years ago. I have a two year degree in computer something?? IM not sure what it was, It was like a advanced technical degree and my diploma from highschool (dual College credit thing, it gave me enough credits for two years of college). I live in the northern neck of virginia. 2 hours south of Washington, D.C., In a town called Heathsville.

5. thebodydundee

thebodydundee New Member

A range is good...I know what my dad made when he retired 4 years ago (Network engineer). But he went from teachr to that. Im just not sure about the entry level and middle ground

6. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Hi Welcome :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  7. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Hi and welcome to CF!

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  8. sunn

sunn Gigabyte Poster

Welcome to the forums...

It is a tricky question. The range will vary on many facotrs. For example, the range will be mich higher in New York city comparred to Buffalo. One thing I'd suggest is to look at career sites (i.e. Monster), they usually have a pay scale - just take the info with a grain of salt as they're usually inflated.

9. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Hi there and welcome 8)

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  10. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Sorry, man... there's no good way to tell you what you could be making in your area with your experience with the jobs that are currently available. You're worth what you can get.

You say you're working in electronics. If you want to get into IT, you'll likely have to start out in an entry-level job doing desktop support, help desk support, PC service repair, etc. And the pay for those isn't great. I can't give you a good range, but I can say pretty confidently that you shouldn't expect to make $30K starting out. I started out at $11/hr ($22,000) per year, 10 years ago.

Welcome to the forums!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  11. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

Hi & welcome to CF:D

NB

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA
  12. GiddyG

GiddyG Terabyte Poster Gold Member

Welcome to CF! 8)