Freedom of Information Act

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by BDB2008, Aug 18, 2009.

1. BDB2008

BDB2008 Bit Poster

Hello All firstly why did I not find this place earlier, valued information from experienced industrial people alike, who actually know about there career.!

About me.

37 yrs young, 1 child 12 months old, made redundant 30th June 2009 trying very unsuccessfully to get back into employment, now looking at self training to gain qualifications.

In my 12 years in the industry I have been a cabling engineer progressed to a Desktop Support Engineer then onto being a field engineer and finally Network Consultant.

Can I get a job?? No!

Reason I believe is no formal qualifications, I did do my MCP self study in 2000 on NT but left it at that because at the time it was who you knew and what you knew.

Currently I am being asked “do you have an MCSE?” I reply with “no but I have 10+ years hands on experience "ahhh we need qualified MCSE engineers for marketing our company..........." so on and so forth.

I'm in a position where I have 10+ years experience installing, administering; managing networks of various sized but cannot get a job because I do not have any formal qualifications,!

So I’m back to looking at gaining accreditation to fulfil these employers tick boxes, and it’s difficult to say the least. Experience in the field does not compare with reading books, I’m concerned that the skills *shortcuts* I have learned will affect the training I need to undertake to pass the exams, or am I paranoid?

Colleague’s friends and family suggest I go self employed, but have you ever tried to be a salesman? Anyway that’s me, I am sure I will be spending plenty of time on the forums in all aspects and area’s.

Certifications: Life Experiance count?
    WIP: MCSA MCSDT MCSE CCNA
  2. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Sorry, what's the relevance of the freedom of information act?

:blink

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  3. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

Welcome to the forums ! :biggrin

I'm in a similar situation but have been out of work for 15 months now. It's a tough market m8.

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  4. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

I think it's caus he's quite merrily told you all about himself, Jonny!

Welcome to the forums :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  5. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Hi & welcome to CF :)

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  6. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Oh, right... OK.

I'm having a bit of a slow day today...

Welcome.

:biggrin

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  7. BDB2008

BDB2008 Bit Poster

I thought of something witty, sorry did not intend the heading to be confusing :P

@darkstarUK - what you doing to fill your time besides research etc? For me i have turned into a fulltime stay at home Dad - good points bad points like most things in life.

8. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

err, you could say I'm somewhat heavily involved with the BCS (British Computer Society), but I rarely mention them round here :p

On a serious note, your "job" becomes jobhunting. I get as involved as I can with events with my IT peers and network as much as possible on things like LinkedIn. Also, try to get your head around studying for some certs - they do make a difference even if it's only to confirm your past experience.

Other than that, you just have to stay as postive as you can (with the help of most people on here) and keep plugging away - something will turn up when you least expect it ! Offeringt he odd pryaer also helps to keep you sane.

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  9. BDB2008

BDB2008 Bit Poster

I fully agree to that statement, staying positive is so important especially when you get knock back after knock back.. What is frustrating is the constant phone calls from 'agencies' saying yes were confident were going to put you through.......... and you hear nothing, so frustrating and to be honest rude.!

Contemplating the certs is why i am here but my time is taken up by my son full time, its very very difficult to get any training in at all, to the point during the day is impossible and so the evening it looks like it has to be.

I think i will start at the basics and go for MCDST then onwards and upwards, see if the training books mirror real life :P opinion?

Thanks

10. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Sounds like a good plan.

Good luck with your job search, im sure something will turn up soon.

As for the agencies requiring certification from someone with 10 years experience. I can only sigh.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)